Eyes

smuckie

Hey guys, haven't posted in a while, but I have a question (problem).I reload my own so I shoot quite a bit, well I've notice my sights are getting blurry(old fart),I wear bifocals but I can read with out any glasses on( been told my bifocals counter the strength of my long distance lens), any way I can bend my elbows and bring the gun closer than arms length and the sight get clearer, what kind of glasses should I be getting or what do I tell my optometrist to fix me up or just keep shooting this way
Thanks

Evan Thomas

Yeah, aging eyes are no fun... :(

I assume from your description that you're mainly shooting handguns.

You want to be able to focus on the front sight when you're in your normal shooting position. Ideally, your optometrist will work with you on this; some are happy for you to bring in a gun and work out the correct focal length directly. Otherwise, you can just hold something else in your hands that's about where the front sight would be.

It's also nice, if you're going to the trouble, to have him or her make a pair of actual safety glasses with the right prescription.

Last edited:

TXAZ

So why isn't there a rugged (can handle the recoil) mini camera / display sight that makes all the distant targets close up?

ballardw

I did what Vanya suggested a couple of years ago. Also think about getting photo-gray so you have prescriptions safety sunglasses.

smuckie

Thanks

Thanks guys I do use scopes on the long guns, but I'll have to check with optometrists to bring in a gun or something that will be close enough to get me set up

g.willikers

Of course, the stronger the lenses are in your glasses for seeing close, the worse they are for long distance - where the targets are.
Normal bifocals can do for both, but they require a lot of head bobbing back and forth.
For years, I've used two different lenses, the right one for the sights and the left one for the targets.
It works; somehow the brain gets the message and both distances are quite clear at the same time.
Hope this helps.
And judging from previous conversations on this, lots of others use this method, successfully.

mehavey

Go to your local LensCrafters and get an exam/prescription for glasses that
focus at 27" (or whatever you eye-to-entended-fingertip distance is).
Those are always in my gunbox now as my iron-sight safety glasses.

The target being slightly blurry is no big deal.
The front sight being blurry is.

Paul B.

"Ideally, your optometrist will work with you on this; some are happy for you to bring in a gun and work out the correct focal length directly. Otherwise, you can just hold something else in your hands."

I can't speak for other states, but hospitals and medical buildings here in Arizona that would be a no no.

I don't know the OP's or eye conditions but it might be a good idea to have your eyes checked by an opthomologist including the possibility of cataracts. I was horribly near sighted and wore glasses for 69 years. I have cataracts removed and the long distance lenses implanted. I now have 20/20 long distance vision but need glasses for reading and close up work. Can't win 'em all. The cool thing is with the lowest power pair of cheap Walmart reading glasses, I now see the sights on my handguns like never before and with no glasses I can use my 30-30 with a receiver sight just fine. Just about a ten minute procedure for one eye, wear patch for a few days and the doc checks you out and you're free to go. About a month later they do the other eye. Mine were done almost two years ago and I'm more than glad I had it done.
The only drawback is I need two pair of cheap Walmart reading glasses. A medium pair when I'm on the computer and a stronger par for reading a book or gun rag. :( A mild PITA but my pistol score have improved greatly. :cool:
Paul B.

Evan Thomas

I can't speak for other states, but hospitals and medical buildings here in Arizona that would be a no no.
Good point, but it's not necessarily a deal-breaker -- my optometrist, and many others, works out of a private office that's just regular commercial space.

peggysue

Go to an eye Dr. / Surgeons. A cloudy cornea first. Phases of muscular degeneration. Check your family tree..my mom had the same thing as I am inheriting. Getting old sucks.

rolomac

When I mentioned my difficulties with gunsights to my optometrist he reached into a closed and pulled out two "dummy" guns - one was a gun stock with no action but a broom handle shaped to simulate the barrel and the other was a toy handgun. He had me demonstrate my "technique" while he watched my eye action and did some measurements. This was a number of years ago and since then I've worn tri-focals and love them. Top lens sees the target and middle one sees the front sight. Bottom one is for close up stuff like reading. They also work great for driving. As I recall they took a bit of getting used to as they were a change from the bifocals I'd been wearing, but that was a small price to pay for the satisfaction I have with them

rolomac

Uncle Buck

Sorry, this has nothing to do with our getting old. It is a know fact that gun sights do become blurry the older THEY get. (This phenomenon is also know to happen to televisions, highway sign and other objects that are usually a distance from us.):eek:

Our local eye doc is really good about helping out shooters. You may have to call around and find a doctor that will let you bring in a gun, or a replica of a gun, to get it right, but those doctors are out there. Good luck.

As an aside, one of the problems with corrected vision, at least in my case, you may find out you do not shoot as well as you thought you did, But it gives you an excuse to shoot more and practice.

bamaranger

for me

My distance vision seems ok, but in close, and the front sight on carbines and handguns is worsening. Here is what is working for me, right now anyhow.

Cheap pair of 1x readers. You can get these as safety glasses too. It pulls the front sight into focus, and the target is blurry as it should be. In IDPA and plinking, and to some extent, 3gun, as long as targets are moderate size, and ranges reasonable, I do just fine. Well....enough to keep me happy.

A real scope solves any real rifle problems.

Yeah, this 55+ business stinks. And I had absolutely great eyes for a very long time.