Eye protection for less wearers: anyone use shop goggles?

Pendragon

I know there have been some recent threads about eyewear and how important it is.

I wear glasses - the kind with the smaller lenses made out of polycarb or whatever that good stuff is.

I actually have a small mark on them from deflecting a .45 casing but I am concerned by their lack of side protection.

Does anyone use the woodshop looking glasses for range use?

They seem like they would work fine, but I never considered it until today.

Does anyone have any unique challenges to finding safety eye wear?

My glasses are a bit larget than most peoples and I have found very few safety glasses that are wide enough...

gryphon

I went to The Home Depot and got some of the safety glasses that are rated for working with metals.

They fit over my glasses just fine and do everything that I need them to. I have some scratches on them from deflected brass, but the bigger issue is they tend to get a little foggy when at the indoor range. It gets really hot in there and the glasses don't get a chance to "breathe". So I got some of that eye glass de-fogger solution. It works well.

I heard that Wiley is supposed to be releasing some wrap arounds sometime, but I don't know when.

Coltdriver

Ditto to Gryphons Home Depot source.

I got a nice pair that will go over my glasses for under $10.

They have both top and side protection.

I once had on only a pair of safety rated sunglasses and a .45 case flew up, bounced off of the overhead light shade and wedged itself between my eye and the shades! Got a little burn on my eyeball!

dev_null

Just bought a pair of these. They're shop glasses, but with a magnifying bifocal insert. You can get them in anything from +1 diopter up to +3 diopter. Cost me $20 plus shipping. Not perfect - since your sights and the target are in the same line of sight you still have to choose between near and far focus - but they're still a great help to my over-40 eyes:

http://www.shopspecs.com

-0-

Last edited:

pax

I've used the Home Depot goggles, and still have a pair in my range bag to wear when I take my Rx glasses off, but they just aren't that comfortable to me. Wearing 'em over glasses, they tend to fog up when the weather is inclement, and cause double vision or glare.

Instead, I went down to the local industrial supply store and got a pair of side-shields that attach to the earpieces of my regular glasses. My regular glasses may not be quite as protective, but I will wear the side pieces whereas half the time I toss the shop goggles aside in frustration.

pax

My face in the mirror isn't wrinkled or drawn.
My house isn't dirty. The cobwebs are gone.
My garden looks lovely and so does my lawn.
I think I might never put my glasses back on.

LoneStranger

Years ago I had a discussion with an Optician about eyeglasses and the differences between regular and safety. What he indicated to me was that regular glasses are based on a lens that is 2.4mm in thichness and safety lens is based on a lens that is 3.0mm thick.
He then indicated that I could order my glasses made out of the thicker lens, they just would not mark them as safety lenses.

Since then they have made many changes in the materials used for eyeglasses and in the frames used for safety eyewear.

I would think that your first order of business if you wear corrective lenses is sitting down with your prescriber and go over your options.
If you don't wear corrective lenses then I would look for an Industrial Safety type operation/person. Maybe the Safety Person from where you work? Yellow Pages of any decent size town should have somekind of listing. (Just love letting my fingers do the walking).

WYO

I sometimes use sport glasses with non-prescription lenses. They have vents in the side so they don't fog up, but with a wraparound frame they still protect the eyes pretty well. You can get them with prescription lenses as well.

C.R.Sam

Does anyone use the woodshop looking glasses for range use?
Yep.

Something to consider, if you are are wearing two buck glasses or two hundred buck glasses. They should be replaced every couple of years. Both safety glass and polycarbonate lose their safety qualities with extended exposure to UV.

Sam

M4A3

I have some yellow tint Remington shooting glasses. Thay are on at the range at all times. I even use them while I'm hunting. There quite confortable.

EMS dude

I use my work glasses. A pair of clear gargoyles. They work great at deflecting brass and blood!

Crystal clear with absolutley ZERO distorsion. Worth every dime.

ExpatGator

I am about to get a pair of Uvex safety glasses with my prescription inserts in them (when I finally quit putting off going to the damned optometrist). They have them at Wally world for about 60$ and I will use them while at work (chair and cabinetry work) and at the range. As far as hunting goes, I have not yet used glasses while hunting but I will try these there as well. I won't have them in time for this year's moose hunt, but surely by deer firearms season.