Extremely stupid Newb Question.

cslinger

I am thinking about picking up a very lightweight .38 revolver for always carry.

I have only owned .357 revolvers. Now I am always careful to make sure I am loading proper ammo, follow the rules etc. but we all have brain farts.

My question is what failsafes are in place on a .38 revolver that would prevent me loading a .357 round by mistake. Is the cylinder shorter and therefore will not close with the .357?

Again I am not a careless guy when it comes to this kind of thing and I always follow the rules of gun saftey but I just wanted to know if it was even possible to close the cylinder on a 38 with a .357 round in it.

I am sorry for the stoopid question but hey better I ask then not.

If it is possible to close the cylinder of a .38 witha .357 round in it and the round was fired would this grenade the firearm?

Thanks

Chris

Shoulders in the chambers. The case mouth on the .357 hits the shoulders, and you simply can't insert the round any farther.

You can still find OLD .38 revolvers, and especially Spanish copies of S&W revolvers, in which you can load a .357.

That likely would result in a blown gun.

C.R.Sam

Someone astuter and even older than I once coined the phrase..

"The only stupid question is the one not asked."

Mike's answer is correct. The magnum case is bout a tenth of an inch longer than the special case.

Sam

cslinger

Thanks for the quick replies.

I figured as much. I am pretty well versed in firearms from .22s to 20mm but in all the shooting I have done, I have never owned a dedicated .38 revo.

Thanks again.