Extream noob...

ChuckC

Ok, I know just enough to be very dangerous as far as reloading goes. I've never tried, but have the books listed for purchase soonish and have many questions before I can even think of starting.

Just a bit on what I have...I pulled the boxes off the shelf in the garage today and have a BUNCH of Lee and Hornaday (?) "stuff" that is all vintage late 60s or 70s...press, dies etc. Nothing is set up as of now but I'm hoping that will happen soon.

Is this stuff so out dated that I need to think about updating it?

For the rest of my questions I'll be more than willing to take them to either PM or email, but there are many.

I've got hopes to reload 7.62x39 (major questions with this), .223, .38, .45 ACP, .45 LC, 9mm luger and perhaps .22 lr (more questions on that...).

Thanks in advance!!

Once you get your books and read them twice, then come back and ask questions. Those books will answer most questions you have. Also, there is a search function on these forums that enables you to research questions that have already been asked 6,129,496,923 times. Welcome to the world of reloading!!! I reload 9mm, 38/357, 45acp, .45LC, .223, and .243 and would be happy to answer any questions.

rwilson452

rule one is read the book FIRST!

I will shoot an unarmed person given sufficient provocation:)

From what I've seen/read, RULE 1 when reloading is "NO SMOKING"

G'day and welcome to TFL. No point sending the gear to I.C.H. as he is also in the USA. You need to send that stuff to me here in Australia, as we are still about 30 years behind you Americans. ;) As for reloading .22lr I am lead to believe that gets put in the too hard basket.
As far as I can tell some lubrication should stop the smoking. Less friction = less heat. :D

dmazur

For reloading you have to be careful and systematic, even if you aren't that way normally... :)

If you're going to get the manuals, it sounds like you're on the right path. There's a lot more instructional material now (including some help you get on the Internet) than there was 30 years ago. In fact, there may be so much info that it is hard to sort it all out!

As far as the old equipment goes, it rarely wears out or goes out of date. It is possible that some progressive presses work better with flared mouth dies, carbide dies, etc. than they might with older dies. However, for a single stage press that takes 7/8-14 threaded dies, almost everything interchanges.

As you're planning to reload both straightwall pistol and bottleneck rifle cartridges, you'll need to read up this. The reloading process is similar, but there are important differences.

(You were kidding about the .22LR, right? The primer is in the rim of the case and is not replaceable... :) )