Extral long barrel for black powder

Joe the Redneck

I am building a reproduction Jezail and I need a five foot long barrel.

Any thoughts as to where I could buy one?

Also, Is there any truth that seamless waterpipe could be used? It seems like a quick way to emergency room to me. But the rational is that modern steel is better than most barrels from the 18th century. I don't know, the idea still scares the willies out of me.

Thanks for any help.

Joe

Scorch

Green Mountain rifle barrels will make you any barrel you want. And they won't use old water pipe.

Do not under any circumstances use water pipe. It is not rated for high pressure. Not that black powder is tremendously high-pressure, but it can still burst a pipe.

Harry Bonar

muzzleloader

Sir:
I have a Green Mountain bbl on my "to be completed" first flintlock muzzlu-loader.
It looks real good - the cut of the rifling etc. It will be a copy of the early Hawken flinters with full length stock and long trigger group.
We have two other bbls. (Green Mtn.) both 54s' and will build them up - they are my true love!
Harry B.
P.S. I really like them because they are made from round bar stock and then "machined all over" - I like that - the bore stays in the bbl. center - NO drill will deep drill straight all the way through a blank.
Harry B.

Harry Bonar

bbl.

Sir:
I just went to the shop today and inletted the Hawken set trigger. trigger guard in the stock today. I really like the Hawken - this is my first flinter.
My Green Mountain bbl. is a good bbl,
; I like the "cut" of the rifling - it's 1 turn in 60 or 66" for round ball - I WILL NOT shoot sabots in my muzzle-loaders - like those plastic packed in line abortions - to my mind they aren't muzzle-loaders they're abortions!
Sorry about my prejudice, I know they shoot!
Harry B.

H.B.,
i would like to show you my Hawken Flinter i made about 30+ years ago, in fact i made about 50 muzzleloaders half of them Hawkens, flinters and percussion.

Joe the Redneck

I've had to hold off on the full size one. The problems just keep building up. I would also need a huge stock, pluse the bi-pod.

I'd have no place to store it, no place to shoot it.

But the real problem is, how am I going to load it without a camel to sit on?

So I've scaled back. I'm modding an inexpensive kit gun. I hope to post a picture when it's done. I've got the barrel browned. Now I've got to clean up the sights and barrel tennons.

Then the stock will begin. I wish I had a normal hobby.

Harry Bonar

Hey Joe!

Joe:
You've got the most respectable hoppy in the whole world - muzzle-loader building includes every art of gun-making!;)
Harry B.