Extractor sheared off my Remignton 58...

I was shooting wobble trap today with some friends when the extractor on my Remington 58 Sportsman sheared off, leaving me with an empty in the chamber and having to play "pass the shotgun" with my friends so that I could finish the round.

Annoying.

I'm seeing some indications that the extractor on the 58 is the same as the 878 and the 1100, and possibly even the 870.

Does anyone know if that is true?

Also, anyone have any favorite places to get Remington shotgun parts?

Exceptional!

Thanks!

GPC has them, too, but for $20 and change.

I was really hot under the collar when I realized that my extractor broke. I gave that gun to my Dad for Christmas in 1986, and when he died a couple of years ago I got it, and I was really afraid that it was going to be one of those "rarer than hen's teeth" parts.

It really is my favorite fun shotgun even with the dings in the metal, the lack of finish on the wood, the weak spring that won't hold the bolt open about 50% of the time, the crack in the forearm, and the seriously ugly polychoke hanging off the end of the barrel.

Hum... With all that going for it, maybe I should name it Lucky? :)

Dave McC

Staff In Memoriam
Sounds like a great shotgun to me, Mike. I guess Bull Run won't let you clean people's clocks with your 3000 any more.

Brownells and Numrich should have that spring and others. Get a complete set, swap them out and keep the originals for spares.

Kuhnhausen's shop manual for the 870/1100 has some stuff on the 58.

HTH....

Dave McC

Staff In Memoriam
Yup, old age....

First the legs go, then the eyes. Next the memory, and I forget what happens after that....