Extra Magazine....Where do you carry and How?

Duxman

Gentlemen, I recently switch from a 9mm pistol to a .40 S&W pistol for my CC. Feeling the need for an extra mag because of the weapon's reduced capacity, I am wondering where and how (for those that carry an extra mag)?

I have a mag holder (from tactical holsters) that I carry next to my cell on the left side, but I sometimes would reach for my cell (also on a belt carry case on the left), and if someone were to observe a mag holder, they would probably assume that I am armed.

Another suggestion was to carry in front pocket of jacket (strong side - same side was weapon) to weigh down the jacket so wind does not blow it open and reveal your weapon. My issue here is to reload, you would have to switch hands or do some ackward motion with your left hand to get the extra magazine.

Suggestions?

jonathon

A horizontal mag carrier right on your front, or get one that is covered so it looks like a mag lite in a fancy leather case :p

Though, I see a lot people with a ton of crap dangling from their belts so, never usually pay attention to it.

20cows

My spare mag is in my left front pocket. For me, a belt pouch would be more problematic to conceal than my IWB 1911. The Blade Tech holster I have will allow me to carry it under a tucked shirt if I need to, but I don't see how a belt carry magazine pouch could be concealed w/o another cover garment.

I do have to check the magazine frequently for pocket lent, but it's just part of the routine.

PS The "maglite" pouch is not really a viable option either.

kkb

I have an old distrest belt sheath with a button flap for a folding knife that just happens to fit my spare mag. It's open carried left side and I've had no comments about it. Doesn't look evil and you'd have to look real close to see that ain't a knife in there.

jonathon

I have an old distrest belt sheath with a button flap for a folding knife that just happens to fit my spare mag. It's open carried left side and I've had no comments about it. Doesn't look evil and you'd have to look real close to see that ain't a knife in there.

Yeah, thats pretty much was I was talking about ;).

For a Camas PD officer, he wanted a mag pouch for off duty that would look inconspicuous. So we made what could've been a mag lite or knife sheath out of some really nice leather(black with a nice shine to it). Also made a cell phone carrier for his duty belt :D

Ronny

I carry a spare mag in my left front pants pocket. I slip an old mini-flashlight cover over it so that no lint or dirt fouls up the mag.

spacemanspiff

cargo pants pockets. they're super tactical cause to get to them i gotta drop to a knee. curse this short torsoed body of mine! but thats a good thing, since i'll be kneeling behind cover anyways while i am holding off the chinese invasion force singlehandedly.

MartinR

Pocket holster w/ integral spare mag pouch.

(for NAA Guardian)

With high cap semi-auto, I probaly wouldn't carry a spare magazine except when on duty.

Dwight55

Kydex double mag paddle carrier on left side: behind 1911 if carrying cross draw.

I have 3 ea 8 rd stainless mags, . . . one in the tube gives me a total of 25 rds.

If that ain't enough, . . . I'll wait at the gate with Peter, . . . y'all get there, 'hear?

May God bless,
Dwight

payne

My holster has an extra mag pouch on the top of it. So I got 12 extra rounds of 40 ready to go. So the answer is on the holster.

RCPractitioner

Ditto on the knife sheath. The sheath to my Gerber gator fits an extra mag perfectly and noone is none the wiser that it isn't a Gerber knife in there.

Mannlicher

Sometimes in a belt holder, sometimes in a pocket holder, sometimes on an ankle holder. Different modes of dress, different guns, dictate where I carry an extra magazine(s). I always have one somewhere though.

mvpel

The SmartCarry holster has a spare mag pouch where I stash my 13-round Glock 21 mag for my Glock 30.

Brit

Mag extra

Duxman, move your cel phone, or go bluetooth, you must always carry an extra mag, it must be in a place that makes a mag replacement quick!
The reason for the extra magazine is twofold, #1 malfunctions, the second reason is more bullets!!!! for down range delivery, in a hurry.

A Glock 19 has 16 rounds up, the spare is from a G17, full of 127g new talons, when you get into the extra mag, due to expending the 16 rounds in the pistol! you may have bitten off more than you can chew!!

Keep Safe. Mike H.

Edward429451

Depending on the day of the week, wether I'm working or not and what other stuff is on my batman belt.... :rolleyes:

Left front pocket, Gerber multi tool pouch, or two single mag carriers here n there wherever I can fit em in. I know, not very tactical not having spare mags location carved in stone but at least I always have at least one extra no matter what. Plus a couple more in the truck.