Extra Extra Ruger Double Action Trigger Better Then Smith Read All About It

cslinger

So I picked up a new production GP100 6 inch tonight. This is a fresh one since it came with the hogues which while comfortable do nothing for me. I liked the old grips but I digress.

So this GP100 out of the box, factory new has a fantastic double action trigger, much better then the new Smiths, I am actually taken aback a bit. I a love Ruger revolvers but have always conceded that they frequently needed several hundred to a thousand rounds to really smooth out their triggers. This guy out of the box is spectacular.

Just thought I would share. Here is the Ruger double action revolver family portrait with the new six incher at the top.

A warning for those who want to put after market grips or the old style grips on. The Hogues they are shipping with do not use the large thick metal cylinder that goes through the base of the revolver grip. You will need one of those.

GP100007.jpg

Tamara

Moderator Emeritus
Nice!

Occasionally you'll get a good one from the box.

Medium- and large-frame Rugers are at a mechanical disadvantage to their S&W counterparts in the trigger department, all else being equal, due to the former's use of coil springs, which stack as an artifact of their design.

cslinger

Medium- and large-frame Rugers are at a mechanical disadvantage to their S&W counterparts in the trigger department, all else being equal, due to the former's use of coil springs, which stack as an artifact of their design.

I agree which is one of the reason why I am so surprised at how good the double action is on this one out of the box. I have found that most Ruger revolvers will smooth out immensely with nothing more then shooting / dry firing but they typically take a bit of trigger pulling to get there. This one just seems to already be there.

batmann

My new Ruger 'Alaskan' in .44M has an outstasnding trigger, at least as good, maybe better than my S&W.

azredhawk44

The 4" Redhawk .44 magnum I got about 2 years ago absolutely blew away the pair of 629's sitting in the display case below it, WRT DA triggers.

Light, smooth and crisp-breaking.

laytonj1

Funny... finding a Ruger with a good trigger results in a lot of excitment and a thread started about it.:D

Jim