extra barrel

grymster2007

Celebrating the future-ex-son-in-law's :) birthday this weekend and my daughter bought him a Mossberg 500 for HD. She consulted me before heading to the store, but when she got there, all they had was the combo unit, which sports an 18 1/2" barrel and a 28" barrel. Well, she bought it and that's fine, but I think I read somewhere that the long barrel in the combo kits is cylinder bore also. I don't know much about shotguns, but is adding provisions for chokes as simple as threading the barrel of the cylinder bore unit?

grymster2007

I'm pretty sure the Field/Security combo comes with a 28" vent-rib accu-choke barrel.
That would be nice. If that were the case, may I assume that the barrel would come threaded? In which case he could buy and install other chokes for various applications?

oneounceload

Unless the 28' barrel is a fixed choke, usually modified, it should come threaded for choke tubes, and will usually come with at least three. More can always be added from a variety of makers.

Dave McC

Staff In Memoriam
Yes.

I've not seen any cylinder bore fixed choke long barrels from a major US maker in decades. The 28" barrel in the combo will have been threaded for chokes and should have a set of three (IC, Mod, Full) in there.

hoytinak

My 500 is the same model that came with both the 18.5" and 28" barrels. Yes the 28" is a vent-rib and threaded. Mine came with all three chokes (IC, Mod, Full) also. ;)

grymster2007

I asked my daughter, but she said there was no mention of choke tubes or anything like that. I think I read an old post over on THR about a guy who bought the combo and said both barrels were cylinder bore, so I was assuming. Now, this is sounding pretty good!... and maybe I could use his long barrel on my Mossberg. Always nice when dad benefits... :)

zippy13

Mossberg presently lists two 28-inch barrels, they are both general purpose with a vent rib and screw-in chokes. The difference being one has a camouflage finish. Might your daughter's purchase been from old stock?

grymster2007

OK, had the lad's birthday party and both barrels are cylinder bore. I have the technology to bore/thread the long one for chokes, but maybe it's just easier to buy one. Or, if the kid figures out what he wants to shoot, how big a deal is it to get his barrel pounded over a mandrel?

TxGun

"how big a deal is it to get his barrel pounded over a mandrel?"

I think you'd find that to be a "no-go". And as relatively inexpensive as Mossberg barrels are, I don't think having one threaded for choke tubes is the best route either, unless you can indeed do it yourself. Be advised though, that it's a finese job and it's easy to "screw the pooch" if you're not experienced in doing it. If it were me, I just get another barrel.

Not doubting you, just hard to believe that Mossberg would put a 28" fixed cylinder bore barrel out there. I've seen such on very old shotguns, but never on anything made in the last....heck, maybe 40 years or so. If that's what you've got, you could very likely sell it for way more than the replacement barrel of your choice would cost. AFAIK, it's an oddity...one that Mossberg aficionados would likely be very interested in.

Last edited:

grymster2007

If that's what you've got, you could very likely sell it for way more than the replacement barrel of your choice would cost.
Wanna buy a barrel? :)

I really don't know much about shotguns or exactly what's involved in threading a barrel for choke tubes, but I imagine it wouldn't be too difficult. I am thinking I'll just leave it though.... really have enough to do as it is.