Extended mag release on 10/22

E.J.W.

I've got a 10/22T that I installed the Volquartsen trigger unit into.
It came with their extended mag release included. The problem I have is the extended "knob" of the mag release gets caught on clothes and things then ejects the mag when I don't want it to. For example when taking the rifle off my shoulder to take a shot or sometimes carrying the rifle by hand or across the elbow, it actuates the release when you move the gun.
Has anyone else ran into this issue?
I see some "lever" type releases which wrap around the trigger guard. I think this style would eliminate my unwanted releases. Unfortunately they only fit around the stock trigger unit guard, not the squared Volquartsen guard.
I'm not going back to the stock trigger after using the Volquartsen unit.
If anyone is on the fence about the cost, go for it. You'll never look back.
Any thoughts?
Thanks
E.

Pahoo

I wouldn't go back, to the OEM either.

I have seen problems with some of the other after market "extended" releases but not specifically the Volts. Can you pop it out, shorten or round off that beak? I have done so on the newer Plastic OEM's. Can you replace the Volts with an OEM release? All you really need to do is be able to push up on the bottom of the release. The older OEM's were flat and flush with the bottom of the trigger group. They could not get snagged but did require more work to activate. I have reworked a few of the flat OEM's by installing short extensions. Good luck. ..... :)

Be Safe !!!

E.J.W.

Pahoo,
That thought of shortening the release knob did cross my mind. I guess it would be a last resort as I'm not to gifted when it comes to metalworking. I was given an idea from another forum that the Tactical solutions wrap around release could be shortened/cut off so it would better fit the Volquartsen trigger guard. Again...metalworking though. :(
Thanks
E.

Pahoo

Let's look at the real problem

The problem that I'm seeing, is that any extension is going to snag. This is what I've seen in the new plastic OEM releases and they really don't extend that much. Most would not pose a problem on the bench but have, in the field. Again, remember that the older OEM's are flush and they "can't" snag.... ;)

What I don't know, is will the Volts. housing accept a short release. I have a few that are flush, extended and just a short nub sticking down. I also have some that extend about 3/8" of an inch. Personally, I would not be bashful about trimming that beak down a bit. Personally, I do not like the looks of the wrap-arounds. All the newer ones togggle and that toggle will snag. They all basically just push up and that's really all you need. .... :)

Again, I ask, will your OEM release, fit the Volts. housing??

Be Safe !!!

Rifleman1776

I'm have trouble visualizing how it would snag on your clothes unless it is about one foot long.
I have an aftermarket extended release on my 10/22 and wouldn't want to do without it. Forget what make it has been there so long. Mine is less than an inch in length. The akward release is the one design flaw the 10/22 has IMHO.

Idahoser

I would hope the aftermarket housing still uses the standard size for the release, which can have or not have the extended spur. So you should be able to replace it with the factory release.

The factory release is far superior if you're using only factory, flush-fit, rotary10-rd mags. The ones with the extended spur make it MORE difficult to remove those. The extension is only helpful with extended high cap mags.

M.O.A.

i would say yes the factory release will fit because you can buy the same extended release fora factory triger

i have had the same problem droped a mag when hunting spented the rest of the day looking for it