Extended handguard Blastshield

Venom1956

I have just a normal birdcage on an AR and for fun I ordered a handguard extension that will cover the barrel. I am thinking of getting a piece of SS the ID of the tube to absorb the gases. It should keep the aluminum from taking damage or splitting. It doesn't serve a purpose I just want to give it a try. Has anyone tried anything similar to this?

Roughedge

That may look like a mess. you can have a smith make a break that comes flush with the fore grip and it will look much better. How long would you need it?

Venom1956

It extends about .5 inches past the muzzle maybe less. I'm waiting for the extension to ship. Tbh. It's for a different ar but I kinda want to play around with it before that. I've seen what that style of handguard comp combo can do to a aluminum rail. Pretty much flame cuts it and blows it apart. But I was thinking if I get some light gauge steel (like heat shield in handguard) around the inside of the handguard that should absorb the muzzle flash. Kinda like the plate on an aluminum smiths top strap. Not sure if that will be thick enough. Maybe make a few layers.

My hands won't extend past the muzzle hand stops will be before that. I'll get my hand another inch forward roughly but I'll get my front sight another 4 inches further up (just iron sight carbine) it's not s huge deal. Kinda just a why not project. To see if it turns out.

Scorch

If you don't put something on the muzzle to capture and redirect the gases, the muzzle blast will split the handguard.

Venom1956

Yes I realize that's why I am asking if something can be installed inside the handguard for a similar effect.