Express Sights on Revolver

valkyrie.rider

At the risk of sounding uninformed,I am not sure I understand the term "express sights" as it relates to a revolver. I saw the term used in an advertisement. I believe they are referring to sights that are adjustable for elevation only but cant be sure. Can anyone enlighten me?

Jim March

Original "Express sights" were first used on rifles carried by hunting guides who had to stop a big ugly pissed charging animal FAST at close range because their client screwed up. So long-range wasn't a factor but extreme speed of sight picture alignment most definately WAS.

An "Express Sight" consists of a front dot (originally a tiny piece of ivory, today more likely to be Tritium :)) and a broad shallow "V" rear sight.

The company most responsible for a modern resurgance in the concept for defensive handguns is Ashley Outdoors:
http://www.ashleyoutdoors.com/

NAA offers the Ashley setup as an option for their Guardian, and has a good pic of such a sight; note that it'll work even better with a bigger rear sight for a bigger gun but the idea is the same:
gd2.jpg

(From the NAA website: http://www.naaminis.com )

As you can see, Ashley includes that "line" in the middle of the rear sight that allowed "target grade" shooting if desired, but mostly this is a "speed system" for close-range combat.

It has nothing to do with whether or not the sights are fixed or adjustable but because it's a "combat system", they're generally fixed.

Jim

9mmepiphany

jim is right
these were originally rifle sights, specifically large bore double rifles, used for dangerous game animals; ie: lion, buffalo... the term "express" refers to the speed with which the sights could be aligned for the shot. they are usually mounted in sets of three folding blades set for various ranges. the front sight was drifted for windage adjustment.

you can see them mounted on the ruger #1 african model

WESHOOT2

For wheels suggest Millett orange-ramp front, notch rear.

For autos the Ashley mid-sized dot and ghost-ring rear (or notch) are very fast.