Explosion of Sellier & Bellot plant

The two reports cite different distances from Prague, but the older report doesn't name a company, so it could be Sellier & Bellot. I'm going to go with a wildly unsupported guess that it's the same explosion and that reporting is typically inaccurate, thus creating the confusion. Is it possible that TWO ammunition factories within 100 miles of Prague exploded within a period of two weeks? Yes, it's possible. Is it likely? Probably not.

Last edited:
Different distances, different directions, apparently different companies, and nearly a month between them, and the one I posted very clearly states it happened Monday, while the earlier one happened on a Wednesday.

Different companies, probably.

After all, how many ammunition plants are there in the United States?

No reason to think that there isn't more than one in Czechoslovakia.

Reporting may tend to be inaccurate on some things, but generally when it's something that goes BANG! they tend to get the basics correct...

you know, things like the day of the week and the date.

wogpotter

The two reports cite different distances from Prague, but the older report doesn't name a company, so it could be Sellier & Bellot.
Yes it does, right here.
“Firefighter spokeswoman Vendula Horakova firefighters got control of a blaze that broke after the explosion of 320 metric tons (353 tons) at 7.30 a.m. (0530 GMT) Wednesday morning in the Policske Strojirny factory located 150 kilometers (95 miles) east of Prague.”

rickyrick

Factory explosions are a good method to cause a price increase in some areas... Such as ammo imported in another country...

Happens quite often in another familiar market.

With the gasoline prices so low, don't be surprised if there's a refinery accident soon.

Slamfire

I say, move them to Texas. Low wages, any safety regulations a company finds objectionable, will be waived, and no one minds wiping out a city or two.

West Fertilizer Explosion

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_Fertilizer_Company_explosion

West, Texas, fertilizer plant blast that killed 15 'preventable,' safety board says
http://www.cnn.com/2014/04/22/us/west-texas-fertilizer-plant-explosion-investigation/

130633600.jpg

I had a bud who calibrated gaging and instrumentation in Government ammunition plants. They make nitroglycerine and nitrocellulose in those plants. He said workers parked their vehicles nose out, so that if they had to run, they could get to their cars and put distance between themselves and the plant as quickly as possible.

44 AMP

Staff
Gunpowder doesn't just explode. I don't think this was just an accident.

Under just the right conditions, ANY organic materiel can explode. Flour can explode. Under normal use and storage smokeless powder is not explosive, but under conditions in a factory (or a test range) conditions can exist that are not "normal".

Also, an "ammunition plant" is a manufacturer of ammunition. They may be the manufacturer of the components, or they may just assemble them.

If they are making gunpowder, there are many chemicals involved in the process that can explode, or explosively combust under the "right" conditions.
(nitroglycerin is certainly one)

Also, industrial support systems can explode as well. If you've ever worked with steam, you know what I mean.

Not an accident? possibly, considering the locations and some of the "green" fanatics in Europe. On the other hand, an accident is the most likely explanation, given the facts as known at present.

Sevens

I love the hidden humor when we point fingers at how poorly the press reports "facts" while also saying that the whole thing happened in a country that simply does not exist. :D

Also, when dealing with very large quantities of gunpowder, the fact that it's a flammable solid no longer really matters. It might only be burning, but such large quantities are burning that the effects are, for all intents and purposes, an explosion, especially if it's contained.

Look at what happened to USS Arizona, the IJS Mutsu, the HMS Queen Mary, etc.

wogpotter

More info is coming to light.
Workers were moving 350 Tons, yep TONS of propellants from a storage facility to a use facility when it "detonated"!
A couple are missing a couple more are confirmed dead. Parts of the building were thrown over 200 meters into a forest which started burning.
There is a really poorly dubbed video with an "End of the world biblical rant" showing the fire & bursts of flame from several kilometers away.

buckhorn_cortez

I say, move them to Texas. Low wages, any safety regulations a company finds objectionable, will be waived, and no one minds wiping out a city or two

I see...so what's really needed is MORE government regulation because the company can't be trusted to provide something they should do as part of their own responsibilities?

Having worked at two federal government laboratories where you can't take two steps forward without a safety violation - I can tell you more regulations won't ensure everyone is safe.

At some point, it comes down to the worker making sure of their own safety.

If you'd like one example...LINK

Depending on how it's packaged and where ignition starts, the weight of the powder above can very effectively contain the burn cycle and allow pressures to rise.

Not as high as one would find in a cartridge, but certainly far higher than the pressures generated by a pile of powder lighting off.

44 AMP

Staff
Policske strojirny a.s. Policka is a company with a long-term and wide-ranging tradition. The company was established under the name "Prvni vojenska municni tovarna" (The First Military Ammunition Factory) in 1920. This was a direct response to the need of stronger defence forces in the difficult period after World War. In that period, the production was mainly focused on hand grenades and artillery ammunition. During World War II, the factory was owned by koda in Pilsen, and after the war, its name and the owners were changed many times. The significant date is the year of 1958 when the factory became a branch of Adamovske strojirny in Adamov, and began to manufacture engineering products. In subsequent years the manufacture of pneumatic elements was gradually developed. Another significant part of the manufacturing programme has been fuel pumping and measuring equipment since 1965. In addition to many other production activities, the above-mentioned branches have become the main programmes of the company since May 1992 when Policske strojirny was transformed into a joint stock company.

Develops, manufactures, sells and maintains the products in the field of:
Pneumatically controlled door systems for transport means (MPS)
Pneumatic systems for control and automation applications (PneuS)
Liquid measuring and pumping equipment (HEFA) Its section ORDERS ensures the supply of engineering products, parts and assemblies, in particular for automotive industry Its plant Ammunition and Blasting Equipment (MTT) develops, manufactures, sells, delaborates and environmentally friendly liquidates weapons, ammunition and explosives
source - company profile from web page

SO, the "gunpowder" that exploded MAY NOT HAVE BEEN SMALL ARMS propellant.

When your company history includes grenades and artillery shell production, you can have a lot of stuff that can go BOOM left about, even years after you switch to making other things...also looks like they were in the business of "liquidating" ammo and explosives, so there's another huge source of KABOOM when things don't go exactly right.