exploding (handgun) ammunition

IM_Lugger

Just wondering about who made/ invented it (manufacturer/ country) and how exactly did they work. I'm assuming they're not legal anywhere and not being produced anymore.

or they never existed and it's all a myth? :confused:

BouncerDan

Not sure who produced/invented it or the legality of it. However, I do know that it is still being used by the CIA. Due to the fact that someone in which I have contact with works for the CIA.

cochise

I bought a box in the '60 s. It was packaged in a 20 rd yellow box, the words exploding , foam padding to secure the bullets. It was very similar to the old super-vel ammo. In the hollow point there was "something" inside the cavity and painted yellow over it. I shot a few rds into cinder blocks, and a 2x4 but not much happened. The result was like any other high velocity hollow point.

I think it was just a gimmick in retrospect. I know they suckered me in.:p

Warhorse

Some were real

During the late Unpleasantness Between the States, experimental minie balls were developed with exploding tips. It idea was that they were to be fired into the ammo containers on the limbers of artillery to blow them up. :eek: They did have to be loaded with some care in a muzzleloader! :eek: :eek: For obvious reasons, they weren't exactly effective and nothing much was ever heard of them again. :rolleyes:

I actually made some for my .58 rifle-musket but, compared to a 500 grain bullet, the results were essentially insignificant on anything I used as a target, including an old abandoned car. (This was more years ago than I care to remember, so details are not exactly fresh and clear. I distinctly remember that the experiment was a waste of time.)

Bottom line: yeah, they existed but are highly unlikely to be commercially produced today if only for liability reasons.

ddskehan

I thought they made some during ww1 as marking ammo. You would shoot it and it would explode on target and create as dust cloud. That way you could mark it for others to see. Also they made during WW2 a armor piercing incendiery round which did explode after penetration. You should do a search on google pertaining to ww1 explosive ammunition. but what pratical use would it be today? If you shoot someone with it your going to jail.

ribbonstone

Were a couple of exploding bullet rounds made...one I remeber was marketed as something like "Vel-X" or "velex"...late 1970's early 1980's seems to be the period. Made a .22LR round under a differnt brand (and made infamous and illegal shortly after it was used in the Regan assissination attempt).

Military has used various types of exploding rounds for sevral uses...but I suspect that's not the theme of your question.

Even back in plackpowder days, were cast bullets desgined to take a charge of powder and a percusion detonator...usually large caliber, but there is room in even the small calibers for some kind of charge.

Never seemed to work out all that well.

Warhorse

Spotter Rounds

When I posted earlier, I forgot that there is a very effective explosive bullet that the military used. The 105 recoiless rifle anti-tank gun used by the army (at least back in the 1960's and earlier) had a .50 cal spotter rifle co-boresighted with the main gun. You sighted and fired that until you saw the round explode on the target tank (smoke), then fired the main gun and were pretty much assured of a hit to destroy the tank.
I'm a little out of touch but don't think the the army even uses that any more. Even at the time, it seemed to me to be a good way to get yourself killed. :(

Lurper

Super Vel made exploding bullets several years ago. They were basically a hollow point with a primer in the tip iirc. I had several boxes of them and fired quite a few, but never saw any results that convinced me that it was much more than a gimmick. Another so called "exploding bullet" was as far as I can tell an urban myth created by (I believe it was Frederick Forsyth) the author of the novel The Jackal. The central character has bullets made with the core hollowed out, fills it with mercury then caps it with lead. His intent was to assassinate Charles DeGaulle.
In reality exploding bullets in small arms would be counter productive because it would sacrifice penetration. With pistols and SMG's in particular, penetration is more important than fragmentation.

Amnesia Wes

tracer rounds

There's some guy on GunBroker.com that's selling incendiary (sp?) tracer rounds, some of which he claims, 'explodes' on contact and is fun to use at night.

This may be what you're referring to. Check it out and let the rest of us know how well they work.

Wes.

IM_Lugger

I remember seeing something on TV years ago (I hardly remember it) about surgeons trying to remove a bullet that was supposed to explode but didn't, they had to be careful since it could still explode. I'm pretty sure it wasn't a movie... I didin't say I want to buy some was just wondeing how they worked.

Lurper

Hinkley used an RG .22
Exploding bullets in small arms (>.50 cal) don't really do much. If you could find any data, I would bet it would show no more damage than a JHP and probably a high incidence of the exploding bullets failing to explode. Back in the 80's Richard Davis (founder of Second Chance body armor) made a video titled "Deadly Effects". Part of the purpose was to debunk firearms myths. They fired several different rounds including tracers at a half full gas tank from an automobile. It failed to explode. After watching the video, I decided to try it with the Super Vel exploders. I bought my friend's Ambassador for $50, loaded my .45 mac 10 with exploders put a half a tank of gas in the ambassador and went out to the field. My friend Bruce and I put several bursts into the gas tank and nothing happened. Even after there was gas leaking out of the tank. I remeber firing one into a stump and retrieving the slug, but don't remember if it exploded or not. This leads me to believe that they did not. I believe I still have 2 or 3 tucked away somewhere. Maybe I'll have to tr it again.

Oh, I don't know about the present but back then (80's) they were perfectly legal.

Mike40-11

Reagan was indeed shot with a .22 using explosive bullets. The brand name was Devastator. Most 'explosive' bullets are simply highly frangible but Devastators actually had a lead azide charge (the bullet was aluminum) that (sometimes) exploded on impact. They were originally designed for Air Marshals to prevent overpenetration.

Oddly enough, I found that Devastators are still available from Hi-Vel: http://www.hi-vel.com/Catalog__18/Devastator_Ammunition/devastator_ammunition.html

Don't know if they're the same thing, I believe actual explosive types are prohibited now.

OT: Warhorse "Unpleasantness Between the States". That's funny right there.

FRANK1669

I remember seeing something on TV years ago (I hardly remember it) about surgeons trying to remove a bullet that was supposed to explode but didn't, they had to be careful since it could still explode. I'm pretty sure it wasn't a movie... I didin't say I want to buy some was just wondeing how they worked.
The thing I remember Was a 40mm grenade in some one ( once again TV show) But guys I talked to said it was possible the $0mm grenade has some kind of arming device that willnot let it exsplode untill ti travels a certain distance But I dont know this for fact Was that maybe the show you were thinking of?

T. O'Heir

"...armor piercing incendiery(sic)..." API doesn't nor did it ever explode. They penetrated armour and the chemical element starts a fire, but they didn't explode. 20mm cannon rounds did come with an explosive projectile though.
From what reading I've done on the ATF site, explosive ammo of any kind is illegal.

Back in the late '70s, explosive handgun bullets were sold in several calibers. I still have some in .38 Spl, 9mm, and .45 ACP. I shot several into wet lap, and yes, they did really explode. Not a heckuva lot better than modern premium JHPs, but back then, there weren't many choices available. I'll try to locate them next time I go to our storage shed and take some pictures to post. IIRC, I have a pack of 8 .38 Spls still unopened.

Can't for the life of me remember who the manufacturer was, though.:confused:

Lurper:

Years ago when Hornady came out with their Vector ammunition, they also sent retailers a promotional video to show just how safe it was. In one part of the video they fired a number of shots into a gas can that was set on a pile of straw. After two magazines the gas still did not ignite. I was later informed that liquid gasoline does not easily ignite, contrary to what we see in movies and TV, where it happens all the time with regular bullets. This is probably why your Ambassador survived. However, gasoline fumes (mixed with oxygen) does readily ignite. What was not shown on the Hornady video was that the gasoline did ignite sometime during the third magazine of Vector ammo fired into it. By that time enough gasoline had evaporated and the fumes ignited. So your Ambassador may have gone up if you had waited several minutes after the gas tank had been initially perforated, and fired a second volley of rounds into the gas fumes as it evaporated.

I must add, I haven't tested this theory. Maybe someone wiser than me with a chemistry degree can elaborate.

("Wiser than me," or "wiser than I"? My English isn't all that geat either.)

JR47

I am sitting here looking at a box of Exploder ammunition, cal. .380 ACP. It came from Atlanta, Georgia. It was distributed by Bingham, Ltd.

Yellow box. Top reads: "Contents 12"
EXPLODER
Maximum Energy Explosive
Projectiles"

The shells themselves are nickle-plated. The id is Super Vel .380 ACP.

It resembles the old, flat-tip Glaser safety slug. The tip is a yellow lacquer appearing substance.

The original sticker on the box is $10.95. REALLY expensive for 1980's era ammo. The box is pretty minty, and the ammo is clean and shiny. All 20 rounds are present. I have it as a curio.:)