Explanations for Weaver/Isoceles stance?

RobW

I read a lot the words "weaver" or "isoceles" stance but there is never an explanation what it is. Can someone out there explain it or give a source where to read about it?

Walt Sherrill

The Weaver stance is similar to the stance you take when firing a rifle; one leg (opposite the gun hand) slightly forward, body turned with the shoulder opposite the gun hand slightly toward the target. Your gun hand arm is nearly straight and the other arm and hand is supporting the gun.

With the Isoceles stance you are facing the target, feet even, and both arms extended (perhaps slightly bent) so that your shoulders form the base of the triangle and your arms form the equal length sides that create the isoceles (two equal sides).

Each stance has its adherents; both work. I shoot a lot of IDPA and prefer the Isoceles stance as it allows my a little more freedom when shooting from side to side. This is not a big deal: use the stance that works best for you.

Last edited:
Concur with Walt but here's some historical info...

While the name is taken from Jack Weaver who popularized it, he was not the original user of the two handed bladed stance. FitzGerald's book, Shooting, originally published in 1930, has a photograph of one fellow using a bladed stance, strong arm thrust straight out and weak arm bent in support position (page 363).

RazorsEdge

The big difference between the two is that the Weaver stance uses isometric tension between the firing hand and the support hand. Done properly, this helps control recoil and pull the gun back on target for the next shot.

I say again: big difference is ISOMETERIC TENSION, firing hand pushes, support hand pulls, for the Weaver stance.

In the classic Weaver stance, the firing arm elbow is locked out for greater rigidity, but there are so many "schools" out there with their little dinky "modified Weaver stances", that this is not neccessarily taught any more.

The classic Weaver stance may be hard to assume in winter clothing, and is easier for dangling arm gorillas than other body types.

The Isoceles is basically a naturally assumed two handed grip, though some schools may tout certain further specifics.

In general, because the Weaver stance requires the support hand to be in front of the pistol grip. this causes the support leg to be forward a bit, and the firing side leg to trail.

Many instructors are very anal about getting it just right.

James K

Member In Memoriam
You have to get it right. Great care must be taken to have the perfect foot position and perfect body angle. This is extremely important in a real gun fight, where you must never think of taking cover, but must stand upright and present a perfect target. Of course you will die knowing that you had the perfect stance, and your instructor will be happy.

Jim

Keith Rogan

I think most practical minded shooters would be served best by just adopting the stance that feels right to them and modifying it to suit their body shape, etc.
I shot rifles and shotguns for years and was never able to shoot well with the isosceles that my military trainers forced me to use. When I took more advanced training where the instructors allowed us to use alternate stances, I shot very well indeed.

As a guy grounded in long-arms, I find a modified Weaver to be most suitable. Instead of my left arm being straight it is crooked to almost a 90 degree angle - in effect, it mimics a rifle position with the handgun being closer to my face than a traditional Weaver.

It works for me.

RobW

Thanks for the input. Up to now I punched the best groups off-hand, but that's only possible in slow fire. It takes a while to get back on the target with just one hand (.45 ACP), so I'll try out your suggestions.

glockdoc

My uncle was a firearms instructor when he was in the military, some time ago. He taught me to shoot with the Weaver stance saying that it helps you remain upright if your are shot, since your rearward foot is supporting you in that direction. For all I know this goes back to armies standing in opposing rows and politely shooting one another. Obviously you should be moving or hiding behind cover.