Explain to me how a 20in AR can be Converted to a 16in or M4 Barrel?

Jamie Young

I'm pretty much set on getting an XM15E2 when ever I get the cash. But I really like the AR Shorties I see around. What has to be changed to go from an XM15E2 to a 16in Shorty? Is it just swapping out the barrel?

CITADELGRAD87

I think you're talking about a simple upper swap. Kinda expensive, but after you acquire both, you can switch back and forth in a matter of seconds by pulling the front pivot pin.

That would allow you to swich back and forth, if you mean can you get an Xm15E2 in shorty configuration, the answer is yes, as well.

Redlg155

Basically, yes.

Most folks just rebarrel with a complete assembly. Barrel, Front Sight Base, Barrel Nut, Gas Tube and Handguards. The Front Sight Base can be a pain to remove and if you have a muzzle brake welded on a post ban rifle you will have to cut it off just to remove the front sight base.

At the same time you will have to purchase an action block, vise, armorers tool, torque wrench and need other miscelanious tools. I've found it cheaper to pay someone a few bucks to have them do it. It's a pretty simple and straight forward procedure.

Or do like lots of folks, either buy a new upper or trade your old for a 16" upper.

Ohh..and if you want an EXTREMELY nice looking M4 type barrel, Rock River makes one that is 16" long total with fake birdcage type supressor for post ban rifles. I had one and it was very nice.
They run about $185.00 complete. If you check with Pete in NH he will also rebarrel your old upper for a very reasonable fee.

Good Shooting
RED

Don't really need barrel blocks if you have a good set of drills. Measure the diameter of the barrel and drill a piece of oak the fit. Cut on a table saw and voila! Instant barrel blocks. Old fashion but still works.

Generally, when you buy a barrel, the front sight ramp will be already be mounted on it.

To convert a barrel, you need the new parts including barrel with front sight ramp, shortened gas tube, shortened handguards. You also need a barrel wrench to remove the barrel ring from from barrel and to install the new one. Circlip pliers are nice to have to remove that big circlip too. A heavy bench mounted vise to hold your barrel blocks is a good idea. Should also have a "go" and "field" gauge to check headspace. A roll pin punch to remove the pin that secures the gas tube in place is also handy to have. It's not that hard to do, but for a one time change, you may be better off letting someone else do it. If you're mechanically inclined, go ahead and tackle the job.

ctdonath

Just buy a complete M4-type upper and slap it on there. Remove hinge pin, remove old upper, place new upper, insert pin.

That said, and pre/post-ban issues asside (select what's needed), be aware that:
- you may want a new bolt etc. to go with the new upper for better fit & function
- be aware that the hinge pin in question comes in two sizes, and get an appropriate upper (there are adapter pins - as I found out the hard way - but they still tend to bind up the action if not pampered).

Redlg155

If I'm not mistaken, Only Colt makes the crazy large hole type on some of their weapons.

All other manufacturers, including Bushmaster use a standard milspec type pin.

Ohhh..and if you get another upper you might as well give into the temptation to purchase another lower to go with it!:D It's gonna look very lonely sitting in the safe without one!

Besides, a new Rock River Lower is only about 95 bucks average, Bushmasters $155.

Good Shooting
RED

Pvt. Joker

Gas Port

If I'm not mistaken, You can't cut a 20" HBAR bbl down to a 16" M4 profile, because of the location of the gas port. You can however, get a 16" HBAR turned down to the M4 profile with no ill effects. I think your better off just buying another upper. Thats really what you wanted to hear, didn't you? :D

-Jared