Explain This please: S&W auto

Navy joe

On a range visit a couple months ago I was nice enough to let two older men shoot one of my 1911s since they had been duly impressed hearing a few +p Golden sabres I was getting rid of get torched off. In return I dumped a mag through one guys SW9 I believe. Poly frame DA smith 9mm auto. I was still chuckling over their lack of .45 recoil tolerance on normal 230gr stuff, but I really tried hard to see if I liked their gun.

Overall, I did. Controls were standard cookie-cutter DA wondermatic 9 type, grip really suited me, nice sights. Then I shot it. Trying to judge the trigger I fired DA taking about 15 seconds to sqeeze through slack and hammer-rise. Trigger broke nicely, and I followed through holding trigger down. Next round FTFeed. Tap, rack, try same again, same result. Hmmmm? These guys had probably shot 200 rds. no problem. Ok, back into battery, fast on the DA trigger, kinda slapping it. Double-tap, double tap, empty mag as fast as possible, no hiccups. :confused:

Now I'm an SA guy, never had a mag disconnect in my BHPs etc. Is there something in the Smith trigger,cocking system, or mag safety that interferes with slide travel? Required disclaimer: I did not limpwrist that little nine!

On a brighter note I took most of my arsenal for a walk today at the outdoor range. What a beautiful day for a shoot.

:)

DRKHORSE

Blades67,
Can you expand on your reply??

The reason I ask is that the first handgun I purchased was a compact Sigma in 9mm and I have fired thousands of rounds through it with no problems. I want to know specifically what thwe problems are with this pistol.
I'm relatively ( been shooting for a couple of years) new to guns. My family never owned any and any friends I have that shoot know less than I do.

Thanks,
Chris

DRKHORSE

Can someone help me here? What are the problems with the Sigma line and the 9mm especially??
I've heard alot of bad stuff, but none of it addressed the specific problems....

Onslaught

The only personal experience I've ever had with the Sigma was a with a .40. It was, without a doubt, the hardest recoiling .40 I have ever fired... Not even my Kahr P40 at 18oz kicked that hard. It was downright unpleasant to shoot. There were 2 other guys on that particular outing, and nobody wanted to shoot the Sigma after two mags. They were all over my USP45 though. :)

James K

Member In Memoriam
I can't be sure, but I sort of suspect you were concentrating so hard on the trigger that you failed to keep a good grip and limp wristed the gun.

This has been a bit of a problem with the polymer frame guns since they came out. Being lighter than steel, the guns themselves do not have the inertia of steel guns, so a bit more resistance from the shooter is sometimes necessary for proper functioning. One reason I think this is because you had been shooting a steel frame gun.

Let me say, that of course, I don't mean GLOCK! GLOCKS are perfect! GLOCKS never fail! GLOCKS never malfunction! GLOCKS keep shooting even if there is no ammo left in the county! (This is not true, of course, Glocks can have the same problem, but it keeps me from being lynched by the Glocksters, who love to hear stuff like that.)

Jim

Jason Demond

I shot one of my Sigmas today. It's a 40VE, I ran 200 rounds of my handloaded hp's through it with out a problem. I know the first Sigmas had bugs in them, but the two I have, have been great guns. They have close to 4000 rounds through them not and I had not had any problem since I first got them. I would not buy a new S&W to save my life, I don't however mind shooting my pre-agreement guns. Matter of fact I am wearing my 40VE right now, it's stoked with 16-165gr Golden Saber hollow points.
:)

tatters

I can speak for the original Sigma .380. I believe the compact 9mm was based on the same design, and is discontinued. The .380 Sigma is known to many to be almost non functional if you read many posts about it. Alloy, plastic, groove for a sight channel.

I had pretty much the opposite experience. I can't remember EVER having a problem with the function or accuracy of this gun. Mine was great for it's given purpose. It was my first fairly serious carry caliber pistol. Snappy recoil.

On the downside, the take down pin(rollpin) on the back of the gun would walk out after about 200 rounds. Even with this happening, I still don't believe I let the problem get far enough along to make the gun cease functioning. All you have to do is tap the pin back into place. S&W fixed it a couple of times, but all they really did(I believe) was put a new pin in. They also sent some spares. Since I couldn't see myself shooting 200 rounds in a defense situation, I felt very well armed given the small caliber.

Again, I guess I am not answering your question exactly, but FWIW, the idea seemed good for me.

Jhp147

Sigma 9-MOST reliable, MOST accurate

Seriously, a friend of mine had a Sigma 9, first generation. It was the most reliable and accurate gun I have ever seen. You could rely on it to ALWAYS jam within a mag, sometimes twice! Accuracy? Ejected casings would ALWAYS hit him right between the eyes, just above the nose, no matter what ammo! I never did measure the group size of the little marks just above his shooting glasses, no doubt it was at least "combat accurate."
:D

Seriously guys, I'm a big fan of the "boycotted one," and wish I could be sure enough of a new gen. Sigma to buy one....but I can't.

James K

Member In Memoriam
My experience with an early .40 Sigma is that it works fine and took everything I fed it. Very reliable. Problem was that I could not hit anything. I am not exactly a newbie, but something about that trigger let off sent the gun pointing off into the wilderness every time. I think it would be OK for close personal defense, but I did not feel confident with it at over card table range.

Jim

Hellequin

I have a 9VE Sigma. Got it 4 years ago. First time I shot it I was very unhappy becasue it jammed about 6 times in a 100 rounds. Then I learned about "limp-wrists" and worked on my grip.

It´s been nearly 4000 rounds now and no MLF. I love my 9VE.

I cannot comment on the first gen Sigmas, but the new ones are pretty good, reliable and combat accurate.

Anyway that is my personal experience and preference.