Explain The Ruger Six's

shafter

Can anyone explain and provide pics if possible of the differences between the Ruger Service Six, Security Six, and the Speed Six? I hear a lot of good stuff about these guns but don't really know what the differences are.

Thanks!

madmag

The link does a good job on the explanation.

As an owner of a Speed Six I can tell you the Six series represent Ruger's designs at their best. I also own a GP100, but I still feel the Six is Rugers best revolver design. Some one will say the GP100 is stronger built, so maybe I should say it was Ruger's most elegant revolver design.:)

My Speed Six SS .357 mag. 2-3/4" barrel.

attachment.php

Last edited:

Ichiro

I had a Speed Six with the short barrel, and I sold it. I think the SP-101 is a better gun all-around.

madmag

The Six series is larger than the SP101 and smaller than the GP100.

Unlike the SP101, the Six can comfortably shoot full house .357 mag all day.

And the Six can be concealed easier than the GP100.

The Six series is not really directly equivalent to either the SP101 or GP100.

The Six stands alone for size, and in my opinion, feel.

Of course this is all my biased opinion.:D

warningshot

If you practice with real .357 ammo all the time it's hard to beat a Rugly 6.

Ruger Six's were the best DA .357s in the days when we practiced with real Magnum loads all the time...not just 38 Specials and typewriter talk. It took S&W a few years to come up with the L frame to compete with Ruger Sixs Circa 1984-5-6.

Smith had the more sleek K frame and the beefier N frame .357s; the Rugly Sixs fell in between the two Smiths.

Lost Sheep

All three

As an owner of

Security Six 6"
Security Six 4"
Security Six 2.75" (with round-but grips designed for Speed Six, which fit, sort of)
SP101 3"
SP101 2.75"
SP101 22 rf 4" (for good measure)
GP100 4"
GP100 6"

I can appreciate the virtues of each. All that has been said in the preceding posts is true.

I can conceal my short barrel Six ALMOST as well as my SP101, but there is a clear difference.

The Six is MUCH easier to shoot well (especially at the higher power levels) than the SP.

The GP is even easier to shoot with high recoil loads than the Six, but the difference is not as marked as between the Six and the SP.

The Six is a lot easier to tote around all day in a holster than the GP.

I wish they would produce the Six in a 8, 9 or 10 shot 22 rimfire.

I wish they would produce the GP in a Six-weight frame with the post-style grip frame and offer wood blanks so owners could fashion their own grips. The offset ejector rod is supposed to give an advantage to the GP/SP design by allowing thicker metal between the barrel threads and the ejector rod cutout.

Thanks for giving me the opportunity to vent.

It has been said that the Sixes were too expensive to produce at a salable price, so I understand the desire to discontinue the line. But I wish it weren't so.

Lost Sheep

Last edited:

ZEBRARANGER

Cant add much to whats already been said. I too own the SP101 and the GP100 along with the 2-3/4" & 4" Security Sixes. I value and appreciate each one for its particular purpose. The 4" Security Six makes it in the range bag on just about every trip. I can attest that I continue to put it through its paces and it just keeps on ticking, just a pleasure to shoot.
DSC00568-1.jpg

skidder

Nice pics Zebra.

The Redhawk is the only Ruger still in production that resembles the old-school DAs. Ruger quit making the 357 Redhawk (I think it would be nice if they brought it back in a 7 or 8 shot!). I don't have the service six but I do have the sp101. Here is the security six next to the 44 Redhawk and sp101.

I had $450 last weekend, and I was out to find a GP100, unfortunately, nothing showed up under $550. Then I stumbled on this security six for $290 at a pawn shop. I'll have to wait on the GP100, but the security six is filling my 357 itch for a little while. If I only had more money?:mad:

Thanks for posting, I'm still learning about these old guns myself. My brother-in-law held his GP100 next to my six and it looked like it was on steroids, till I brought out my Redhawk.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• OldSchool.JPG
    OldSchool.JPG
    194.4 KB · Views: 199
  • OldNew.JPG
    OldNew.JPG
    190.7 KB · Views: 200
Last edited:

Andy Taylor

The differences between the -Sixes are as follows