Expired body armor usefulness

simonrichter

I have recently received a surplus Second Chance IIIA body armor, with both soft armor panels long expired (on top of having expired 2007, they are also part of the lot that has been made of Zylon, which obviously has failed in some cases...). Is there any remaining protection capacity in these panels? In fact, I do some security jobs at soccer games asf. from time to time. No need for ballistic protection there but actually some minimal stab protection would be fine and given I now possess the vest in any case maybe it is better than nothing?

Sharkbite

I have shot in testing vests that were produced in the mid '60s (shot in the mid '90s)...thats 30 YEARS OLD!!!

All of them performed up to their stated rating. No penetrations and backface deformation withing NIJ limits (<44mm)

Now, would i personally trust a vest that old if i had a choice....No

Would i don it, if it was all i had between me and a badguy...yep.

Dont confuse stab resistant with BULLET resistant. Very few vests are rated for both.

Kevin Rohrer

Depends on the stabbing object. An ice pick will go right through. Something that has a broad point may get stopped.

There are anti-stabbing vests available, but my understanding is that they are not comfortable to wear and are HOT.

The expiration date is entirely subjective and used to sell vests. A vest will be 100% effective for what it is designed to stop as long as it has not been abused.

kilimanjaro

If you don't have a Kevlar vest now, and feel you need one, then wear the vest you were given, despite it's expiration and construction.

Then put the shekels aside for a new replacement as soon as you can.

When you get the new vest, put this one inside the door of your car or behind your driver's seat, maybe at home, something like that, for passive protection.

A vest will be 100% effective for what it is designed to stop as long as it has not been abused.
Is there general agreement on this subject with regard to kevlar?

Would the zylon vest with some cheap trauma plates work?
OP could then upgrade the vest later when money allowed and stll have the plates.
Hot and heavy and plates aren't much cheaper, but I thought I'd throw it out there.

Last edited:

Vt.birdhunter

"Abuse" is not just abuse. Simply use causes deterioration when kevlar is exposed to UV light. I believe it makes the material far more brittle over time. I think the expiration date refer to UV damage from "average" exposure.