Experiences with IMR SR4756

Gregory Gauvin

Just curious if anyone has loaded 9mm, 40, 45 with SR4756 and your opinions on the powder. Cleanliness, metering, performance...etc. I did not know that this powder was discontinued until this past week. I have 5 or 6 lbs of it unopened I had nabbed up during the prior powder shortage.

Pathfinder45

I've used it in 45 Colt perhaps a decade or longer ago. It shot OK, but with quite a bit of unburned powder. I think it needed more pressure than I was giving it. You'll be able to make better use of it than I did. That much powder will make a lot of pistol ammo. Play with it for a while and you will come up with some accurate loads and if you run it at higher pressure than I did, it should burn cleaner than it did for me.

Real Gun

Not what I would use for those semiautos. I would trade the powder to a revolver guy who likes to shoot 38 Special and light 357 Magnum. I use it on those because of its higher VMD allowing me to see the powder before placing a bullet for seating. It doesn't ignite well, so I use magnum primers, suggested to help with unburned powder.

LeverGunFan

A couple years ago I found a 1 pound metal can of SR4756 for $10, and at that price I couldn't pass it up even though I wasn't sure what I would use it for. I've since used it in 9mm for casual target shooting, and it works OK for me.

9MMand223only

This powder IMR 4756 is a favorite for bullseye shooters, it lends to very accurate loads.

Pet loads would be something like this for maximum accuracy.

jacketed copper, or Xtreme, or Berry's 115 grain, use ~5.6-5.7 grains at 1.145 OAL, 95 grain use like ~6.2. Play in that area, and you will see why so many people like this powder for shooting bulls.

Hammerhead

4756 meters very consistently and works well in 9mm, but is too slow for .45 auto IMO.
It's my old favorite 357 magnum powder, perfect for those 'magnum-lite' loads.
It likes magnum primers, Winchester WSPM seems to be the best for ignition with 4756.