Experienced Opinion Wanted on Baretta PX4

I've been out of shooting for 30+ years, but would like to get back into it. My intended uses are HD (not CC), hunting (as a backup hog killer), and target/plinking. I'd intended to get a .45 1911 just because years back I shot one and it "fit me" very well compared to a few other pistols I had shot. Also, since plinking is an intended use and a .22 is so much less expensive for regular practice, the ability to swap barrels is very attractive.

However, one major store has the Ruger PX4 (.40) on sale for $499 until the 17th. At the counter, it fits well in my hand. I have not yet found one that I can test fire, but the price is attractive when compared to the Remington R1 that I've had my eye upon.

I like 1911's, but I'm not married to them. I'm not married to any particular manufacturer either (well, for shotgun I'm married to Browning but that doesn't apply here).

I'm not familiar at all with the PX4 and haven't yet had the time to really research it. I'm not sure how reliable it may be, how many aftermarket offerings are available, if it supports a barrel conversion kit, etc. So I would appreciate any experienced opinions on the PX4 pistol and my use for it.

Thank you in advance,
Andrew

Sent from my RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Mrgunsngear

The PX4 is a solid pistol and I'm sure would perform well as a HD gun. That said, it wouldn't be my first choice.

If you're looking for a DA/SA gun with a 22 kit, the CZ pistols are tough to beat.

If you're not too concerned about the 22 conversion, the FNP/X guns are a great value for the quality of gun that you get.

TailGator

The PX4 is by Beretta, and Beretta makes some pretty good pistols. (After five centuries in the firearm business, they have apparently learned a few things.) My daughter has a compact PX4 9 mm and loves it. I have shot hers and it impressed me very much. The rotating barrel design makes it a very soft shooter. Fit and finish are quite good, as are the ergonomics.

I have not heard of a .22 conversion for it, and from what little I know about the mechanics of handguns I have to wonder whether such would be possible with the rotating barrel. Hopefully more knowledgeable folk will chime in about that.

meanmachine1961

I can only speak to the quality and reliability of the PX4 platform in a full size 9mm. The fit and finish is outstanding and after owning one for about 8 months, I have had exactly zero malfunctions of any kind. At the time I bought it, I was comparing with M&P, FNX and PPQ. I chose it over them all even though I have since bought a M&P and plan to buy a PPQ. The PX4 is a fine pistol.

delta tide

I have owned a PX4 (40 S&W) for 5 months now. I have shot 300 - 400 rounds a month through it with zero malfunctions. I clean it about every other range trip. The gun feels great in my hand. Accuracy seems to be on par with the other poly frame .40s I have shot (M&P and XD). I would not hesitate to use this gun for HD.

LockedBreech

Got a PX4 .40 Type F Fullsize for my 20th birthday as my first gun. In about a month I'll turn 24.

Mine's failed zero times and is somewhere between 3,000-4,000 rounds. Here are the rounds I recall firing without fail:

Federal Champion 180-grain
Federal American Eagle 180-grain
PMC Bronze 180-grain
Winchester White Box 165-grain
Federal Hydra-Shok 155-grain
Federal Hydra-Shok 180-grain
Federal HST 180-grain
Speer Gold Dot 180-grain

As well as random handfuls from dad's ammo boxes from when he owned a .40 that were 7-years old and filthy.

It's a solid pistol. Run it pretty wet.

Fargazer

I have had a Px4 Storm (full sized) type G (decocker only) for almost a year with no issues or malfunctions. Very good pistol, very reliable, very consistent - if you do your job, the pistol will do its.

LockedBreech

I have had a Px4 Storm (full sized) type G (decocker only) for almost a year with no issues or malfunctions. Very good pistol, very reliable, very consistent - if you do your job, the pistol will do its.

I keep meaning to do that stealth lever/G-conversion to mine.

Adventurer 2

I've owned a PX-45 for a couple years now. Somewhere in that time frame I locked up my 357 in favor of the Storm as my home defense handgun. Personal preference that I like semi-autos with an external hammer and double/single action. The grip can be changed to a larger or smaller grip. Steel sights Accurate and soft shooting 45. I'm not aware of a 22 conversion kit.

Thank you all for your input. It is much appreciated. I do like the PX4, but I'm not finding that anyone makes a .22 conversion kit. Not having a reasonably priced conversion is a deal killer for me.

Checking more into the CZ pistols, they seem to fit my profile. But my gosh, the .22 kits are 2/3 the price of a full pistol. The same is true for the Beretta 92/96 pistols. The kits for 1911's are a smaller percentage of the price, but the cost of the 1911 is more.

So I'm kind of back to the drawing board. I'd like something in .40 or .45 with a conversion kit to .22. I like an ambidextrous safety mechanism of some sort. I like something that has rails and night sights included. I'd prefer something with some accuracy at a distance. I'm on a budget and $750 is pushing it. (No clue if I'm being unrealistic or not.)

Like I said, I haven't been around pistols for a long time and I'm a bit overwhelmed at the variety out in the field. Your input is appreciated.

Thanks again,
Andrew

labhound

I have a PX4 full size 9mm. Excellent gun and has been 100% reliable. You might be better off just buying the PX4 and buying a separate .22lr pistol like the Ruger Mark III 22/45.

mete

If anyone is hesitant about the rotating barrel system ,don't be . That design has been around for 100 years ! From what I've heard from knowledgeable people the PX4 is very reliable .It's also got interchangeble grip panels for excellent fit. Go for it !

Justice06RR

For about $750 you are better off buying 2 separate pistols. A cheaper 22lr for plinking/target practice, and another pistol in 40/45. The PX4 is great for the 40 or 45cal, then get a Ruger 22 pistol along with it.

Like they say, 2 is better than 1!

Mrgunsngear

I have one (EAA combo) and am planning a review on it. In 9mm it's awesome---0 issues. The 22 conversion is very ammo sensitive.

Inazone

I have the PX4 9mm subcompact, which doesn't share the rotating barrel of the compact and full-size models. Regardless, it has been 100% problem-free regardless of ammo. I actually traded my only .22 handgun (Walther P22) toward the PX4, which at the time was my only handgun, but cheap 9mm was easy enough on my wallet that I didn't really mind. I've since purchased a Ruger SR22 for cheap plinking.

The PX4 is ridiculously easy to field strip, which is definitely a factor for me, and is extremely comfortable, which is my top priority. This will be my CC gun as soon as I have my permit.

My reasoning behind getting a .40 or .45 pistol with a .22 conversion kit is that I would be shooting the "same" pistol "in practice" as I would be when "in-business"; thus I would be better practiced and able with my "business" pistol than I would be if I were shooting two entirely different pistols.

At least that was my thinking. Now if the advantage is negligible or I'm just plain wrong then let me know and I'll go the route of two different pistols.

For the EAA conversion, if I understand correctly then this will not work on a .40 or .45. Am I correct? But either way, can you point me to EAA and the kit? I am not familiar with this outfit.

Thanks again,
Andrew

Mrgunsngear

For the EAA conversion, if I understand correctly then this will not work on a .40 or .45. Am I correct? But either way, can you point me to EAA and the kit? I am not familiar with this outfit.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/76085

^^^That's the exact combo I have; I paid $400 for it a few years ago but I'm sure that price has gone up since :(

The conversion will work with the 40 frames but not the 45. I'm not sure if they sell a 40 combo package like they do for the 9mm though....

Noreaster

PX4 constant action 9mm. Solid, reliable handgun. The most accurate pistol I've ever owned, (yeah it beats my Sigs!)

Don P

I have not heard of a .22 conversion for it,

Beretta does not make a 22lr kit for the PX4 only for the 92fs. I had 2 PX4's one in 9 mm and one in 40 S&W both are now gone from my safe.
If a Beretta is what you want and the possibility of 22lr do yourself a favor and buy a 92fs, I have 2 in the safe with 22lr kits for them.
I would/will not buy a PX4. nice in the hand but too many issues for me.