Experience with TCM 22?

jetinteriorguy

I have an RIA 1911 with both 9mm and 22TCM barrels. The TCM is a real hoot. It sounds like a light rifle going off with a big fireball and almost no recoil. When I first bought mine used you couldn’t get through even one mag without a case getting so stuck in the chamber it had to be knocked out with a hammer and rod. I contacted the company and they emailed me a shipping label right away, even though I was the second owner. Ten days later I got it back, they replaced the barrel and recoil spring and tuned it. Since then it’s been perfect. In 9mm it’s absolutely flawless and as accurate as any pistol I own.

stagpanther

"Ya get what ya pay for" as they say. I have an RIA 1911 in 22 lr, had some real serious problems with it as delivered by RIA, but they did make good on them. Still, I consider them the "PSA" of the 1911 world, most of the time they run reliably and accurately, but they just aren't as refined IMO as a quality 1911. I get nervous when a cartridge is so proprietary it's a mostly a one-source proposition. I too am tempted by the tcm but I'm not jumping on that bandwagon until other gun manufacturers show support for it.

ballardw

A friend of mine and I both brought 22TCM's to a session as our "new toys".

Fireballs and blast for the win! I need better sights, i.e. something optical, to see if it I can use it for varmints. My eyes don't work quite as well with iron these days.

I noticed that Hodgdon brought out, in their Accurate line, a powder named for the TCM.

surveyor

its a fun little round, but it is limited to shorter hornet style bullets.
cases size in last 1/4 inch or so in the dies.
i havent got around to anything other than H 110 and the 40 gr boolits. coal is critcal.
in the double stack mags ive used modified para p 18 mags before.
there was a 2nd version that ran as a conversion that was called a 22tcm-r that was 9mm oal length instead of the 38 super oal length of the tcm.
this was years ago though. there was also a bolt action rifle in it.

i hope to get back to it and see how it likes a 35 gr vmax.

reynolds357

I just learned of the existence of this critter, it would seem a thrill seeker or two would have got one.:cool:
I have seen them. I have the FN Five Seven and the Ruger 57, so I probably won't buy one. I saw the TV episode where it was tested head to head against the Five seven. If I remember correctly, the RIA won the comparison test.

RGRacing

RIA 1911 with both 9mm and 22TCM barrels - 4" - The Recoil vs Blast is a "You have to shoot one to believe it".

Reloading for it makes it even more fun to shoot. (9mm is as good as any). Mine is a single stack without any FTF in 1500 rounds.

Still trying to perfect my reloads - Seems 50% of mine tumble vs factory rounds. I'm a H110/ Notes: 10.3+4+5 >> 10.6 >> 11 .0 OAL 1.255 >> Still tumbled - All Shot louder than Factory Shooting.

Fun Fun Fun

ballardw

The 22TCM is another place to send your .223 / 5.56x45 /.300 Blackout brass when you get split necks or dents. Cutoff to length and resize as .223 is the parent case for 22TCM.

I have also seen 22TCM available and the prices did not triple or quadruple like 9mm did for some reason.

jetinteriorguy

I may be mistaken, but I don’t think it’s very feasible to make TCM from .223 brass. I believe once you cut it off that the brass in that area will be too thick to neck down. At least in my research a few years ago when I was considering doing this that was a problem. I know you could try annealing but it would be too close to the bottom of the case and would compromise its ability to resist the high pressure.

Rojack

I heard .22 TCM is banned from a lot of indoor ranges. Since it tends to spit fire, the concern is that a fireball could ignite powder residue on the floor and set the place on fire. Or is that just an urban legend?

Rojack said:
I heard .22 TCM is banned from a lot of indoor ranges. Since it tends to spit fire, the concern is that a fireball could ignite powder residue on the floor and set the place on fire. Or is that just an urban legend?
I suspect it's an urban legend. Other rounds also spit fire, especially from shorter barrels. That includes everything from .22 Magnum up through .44 Magnum, with several stops in between.

However, I know that my local indoor range doesn't allow the .22 TCM. They also don't allow the Five7N, or any centerfire rifle rounds. The reason is that the backstop is nothing but a huge steel plate set at a 45-degree angle to deflect bullets down into a water-filled moat. Their concern isn't fire, it's that bullets with too much energy will damage or punch through the backstop.