Experience with Ruger warranty work?

riggins_83

I purchased a brand new Ruger Super Redhawk stainless 44 mag, took it home and began a standard new gun cleaning. To my horror I noticed this between the frame and crane pivot assembly:

I mailed the firearm back to Ruger UPS insured (cost nearly $70 as it had to be sent overnight air) along with the following letter and the picture inserted:

I’m sending back this Ruger Super Redhawk S/N xxxxx due to finish issues from the factory. I’ve attached a picture here, there’s a really rough edge between the frame and the Crane Pivot Assembly. Along with that there’s a lot of scratches on the gun (most of them on the bore), some of them pretty deep. I purchased this gun brand new from ****** Saturday, October 31st 2009. There was some surface rust on the frame when I received it however it buffed out quite well.
Please refinish or replace the frame to eliminate the rough edges on the frame along the edge of the crane pivot assembly. Please also refinish rough areas of the frame if possible. I understand stainless steel finish in general has a slight “grainy finish” though some areas on the inside frame of this gun (like the bore face) seem excessive.

Ruger stated they're either refinish the frame to a like new condition (if it can be done without taking away integrity of the frame) or replace the gun. I was advised this by their service department answering service, though, not by any of the techs (the still hadn't been looked at). Anybody have experience with Ruger as to how determined they are to make the gun look new the way it should?

Last edited:

Kreyzhorse

Ruger has very good customer service. From my experience, and I had a rather long and frustrating experience with them, they made every thing right, no questions asked. Ruger will take care of you.

riggins_83

Ruger will be paying for this (mailing fees). I did inspect it before bringing it home, there are some things which cannot be seen prior to cleaning the factory crud off.

Last edited:

sinister1811

I had a great experience with Ruger Customer Service. I had an issue with my SP101. They sent me a brand new gun. They also paid for shipping both ways. I had to pay the FFL transfer fee of $20 to my FFL, but I'm sure if I would have given that receipt to Ruger and had complained, they would have paid that as well.

AAJAY

I just sent my Single-Six in for the recall/retrofit, and although they advised it would be like 6weeks, I got it back in 2 weeks.
Brother-in-law had some issue with some S/A .45 he had just purchased new from Ruger..sent it in via Fed-Ex and got it back almost immediately.
I hope your luck is as good.
What bothers me is how many firearms have to go back at all.

riggins_83

What bothers me is how many firearms have to go back at all.

+1 for that. This is the first firearm I've ever had to send back (other than a Walther P22 which broke the firing pin after.. 50 rounds and I just sold as is).

cornbush

The number of firearms that go back for repair or service does get alarming sometimes. If you compare it to any other product its really not out of the norm though. Anything made by man can and will fail. I had a limited run (1 of 500) Smith 629 that cracked the forcing cone after less than 500 rounds. They offered to fix it, but my engraved barrel would be replaced by a plain barrel and I had to pay to re-engrave it.:mad: My dad had a buddy who was a LEO who had to send his Sig .45 back after 200 rounds because the frame cracked down both rails. Here it comes, in the family there have been several Taurus guns sent back numerous times and they still were not fixed, they're gone. Everybody makes a junker sometimes, it comes down to whether they fix it or not. Smith, Ruger, and Springfield seem to take care of problems very quickly with as little hassle as possible.

Ricky

New guns going back for repair

I've had 3 guns, all different Mfg. go back for repair.

Browning BBR, Factory recall, safety issue. Had to go all the way to Japan for retrofit safety. Gone for 3 months +.

S&W Mod 19, Cylinder locked up 1st time at the range, out of time.

And yes, the other is a Ruger rifle, the chamber was so rough I couldn't close the bolt on a round and when said round came out the brass was badly scratched. Ruger's custom shop polished it smooth as butter.

There ya go, 3 companies all with good names, everybody makes a lemon. I guess I don't have the best of luck huh?

rantingredneck

I have a P90 that I am not the original owner of. At about the 500 round mark I started having light strike problems. I first attributed it to the ammo I was using and switched. Problem came back soon even with the new ammo. Talked to Ruger and they sent me a new firing pin to install myself. Gratis. I tried that and still had problems. I mentioned that the firing pin mark was off-center and they sent me a pre-paid shipping label to return the gun to them. It was gone around 3 weeks IIRC. Came back with an entirely new topend. Slide, barrel, recoil spring and guide rod. Runs like a top now.

I also bought an early LCP and had to be without it for a week around Christmas time last year, but that recall was handled VERY well from my perspective.

dahermit

I cannot testify to Ruger's current warranty work. However, the two times (many, many years ago) I delt with them they performed above and beyond what I wanted or expected. In the first instance, the engaging surface of the sear of my second-hand .44 Ruger Blackhawk (not Super Blackhawk) Flat top, broke off. I contacted them to get a new part. They stated that the part must be fitted at the factory, I sent it in, they fixed, no charge despite that I had told them that I did not buy the gun new. The second incident, a second-hand .44 Super Blackhawk, I lost the screw that contains the cylinder center pin. I requested an new screw, they said, that the part must be fitted at the factory. I sent the gun in, they fixed, changed all the other screws to their new nylon lock screws also, and sent the gun back, no charge despite the fact that I had informed them that the gun was not under warranty and that I had purchased it second hand.

I am not a devoted fan of Ruger designs, but I certainly cannot complain about the fixes they have performed for me.

madmag

Great

I had some bad parts a few years ago. Ruger didn't even ask about warranty, they just sent me the parts free including shipping. No arguments or discussion....can't ask for more.

Ricky

Ruger warranty

"There is no Ruger custom shop."

Well maybe Santa's elves fixed it, Who ever it was did a nice job!

laytonj1

Ruger warranty

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"There is no Ruger custom shop."

Well maybe Santa's elves fixed it, Who ever it was did a nice job!
Or likely their repair center...
And as Craig stated, Ruger does not offer a warranty. Though they do stand behind their products.

Jim