Experience with Hammer Bullets?

jackstrawIII

Hey, any of you guys ever hunted with Hammer bullets?

I've been looking for a non-lead bullet that would come apart on a lung shot (like traditional lead does) and Hammer seems to be a good solution, but I can't find hardly any folks that have used them. Would love some real world experience/photos, etc.

Anyone ever used on game with +/- experiences?

Thanks.

std7mag

I know of one person on another forum that swears by them. "Very effective on game."
Then again he uses a 300 RUM.
You can load it with jellybeans and be effective....

Another option along the Hammer line is Cutting Edge Bullets.
They are designed for the petals to break off and the base to continue through.

taylorce1

My buddy has used the Cutting Edge Raptors on deer with his son in the .223 Rem. They did a lot of damage doing exactly what you want them to do.

Zen Archery

I’ve field tested the 3 different bullets. Love them. Every time I’ve done my part the hogs hit the dirt. I had 1 runner but recovered 50 paces.

Ive linked below a playlist of my hunts with the Hammer Bullets.
Hammer Bullets Playlist

Last edited:

jackstrawIII

Zen, thanks for the hog vids, those are great. Any experience with these on white tails or similar?

Also, based on your experience, do you think these will open consistently on lung shots or would you stick to neck/shoulder? I prefer lung shots on deer, but need expansion.

Zen Archery

Yes. It’s a very controlled expansion and will work fine for deer sized animals.
Shot placement is really up to the shooter. There is more meat to harvest in the neck of a deer then the chest area. If you are in thick woods and don’t wanna chase then a neck shot will drop them.

I’ve not personally shot a deer with the hammers.
Honestly, I don’t think you need a hammer bullet for a deer unless you are shooting long range or are using a small caliber bullets.

Most folks using hammers bullets are chasing elk, moose, bear and big game species in Africa, India, Australia, and countries that require a certainty ft.lbf rating (Switzerland, Norway, Germany).

A standard soft point or bonded bullet or even the plethora of bonded soft points coming out will give you what you need for deer size species.

jackstrawIII

Zen, totally agree with you on standard bullet effectiveness on deer. In fact, my favorite load has been a 123 SST coming out of a 7.62x39 at a whopping (sarcasm) 2350 FPS haha. Works phenomenally well and ruins zero meat.

But my kids are starting to eat more venison these days and my wife is concerned about lead exposure. She’s very accommodating of my hunting, so I’m trying to be accommodating back to her by using non-toxic bullets.

Got good groups with TTSX bullets, but in theory I like the fact that hammers come apart a bit in soft tissue. I’ll be using 308, 7mm08, and/or 6.5x55 this season. Just trying to figure out whether to go TTSX or Sledgehammer.

Zen Archery

Comparing the sledgehammer to TSX/TTSX is gonna be tough. They’re both gonna cost you about the same. My accuracy with both is equally the same. Barnes lacks bullet weight options for my preference and that is why I go with Hammers.