Experience with .308 150 gr. SST Hornady bullets?

dvdcrr

I was wondering if anyond has any experience with .308 150 gr. SST Hornady bullets?
Years ago I had a bad experience with this bullet, but I have some loaded up now again and was wondering if my one time was just an anomaly.
Thanks!

Who Dey William

Killed deer with SSTs in .308 win and 12 gauge slug. If you hit them in the boiler room, they won't run far. I know this isnt sexy advice or particularly enlightening, but buy a box and see if it groups how you want it to. I've had success with that caliber and weight combo.

Dufus

I use SSTs for mainly paper punching. They are too thin for my needs.

Hit a good bone and you might get one inside the animal, but a lot of time not so.

Accubonds and partitions are my main hunting bullets.

The SST might suffice for something as small as a white tail, but I still don't have much faith in them for hunting purposes.

jmr40

They shoot very accurately in my rifles. I've not shot game with one, and it wouldn't be my 1st choice. The entire line of SST bullets are known for rapid expansion. That is neither good nor bad, if you understand how they work and use them appropriately. At any range a shot into the rib cage will probably result in massive damage and a quick kill. The soft bullets mean they will expand well at longer ranges were impact speed is slow and other tougher bullets might fail to expand.

But they are not a good choice for larger game or shots at bad angles where lots of penetration is needed. Use them them the way they were designed to work and they work. Ask them to do a job they weren't designed to do and they will fail. I like a little tougher bullet.

603Country

I load that bullet for the grandson's 308. It works just fine for him. I worried about it a bit, but I've quit worrying. It does just fine. Quite accurate too. He shoots deer and pigs.

For the sake of low recoil, I use a medium load of IMR 3031. That probably reduces any problem of the bullet fragmenting.

I doubt I'd use it at high velocity in a 300 Weatherby.

GeauxTide

In an 18" barrel, you'll be around 2600. I use 42gr of H4895 under Corelokt or Interlock for 2518. Extreme spread of 9fps and 1/2" groups.

jackstrawIII

The entire line of SST bullets are known for rapid expansion. That is neither good nor bad, if you understand how they work and use them appropriately.

This is it.

SSTs work very well on a lung shots. I use them out of some of my guns and I have no complaints. I choose "soft" bullets like the SST for most of my hunting. It's a deer, not a water buffalo.

samsmix

It kills deer sized stuff dead as a doornail, mostly out to 400 yards, maybe a bit farther if you're really good.

For that matter so does any cheap 150gr from Federal, Remington, Winchester, and just about anyone else.

ed308

The 120 gr SST in 6.8 is one of the best hunting bullets for large hogs. I can't see the 150 gr SST being any less effective either. But it will do damage to the meat. I shot a large hog straight on in the head several years ago back in Florida. It went down and stayed down too. Not even a muscle twitch after it went down.

reynolds357

They are fine for whitetail. They are moving slow out of the 30-06 and 308 Win. They would not be my first choice for my 300 ultra mag.

samsmix

As a matter of fact, I did quit using such bullets...Remington bronze points IIRC...due to meat damage.