Experience wanted

jersey joe

I would appreciate your observations. At 100 yards I am accurate with both my 223 and 270 bolt actions. Horizontal is spot on, vertical is purposely about 1 inch high. Both rifles are scoped, same model but different power. At 200 yards my shot placement is typically two to three inches right. I mention both rifles to eliminate the rifle as the variable. I can understand trigger pull as the primary issue except that the operator error does not appear at 100 yards. BTW, I do shoot right handed. I am sure that there could be several factors but I am hoping that this might be a common issue. Any ideas?

cannonfire

Vertical missing is probably because of your breathing. Horizontal could be trigger pull, you "muscling" the rifles (meaning you are forcing you weapon on target, rather than letting it lay on target) or it could be the a factor of wind. Also remember that the further you move from the target, the slightest mistake will magnify with distance. Is this a consistent occurance or was this at just one range outing?

ndking1126

Are your crosshairs level in your scopes? If they are off a little, it can cause you to tilt your rifle to level them. They call it cant. Then the line of sight and the path of the bullet are no longer right on top of each other. They make an "X" and the farther out you are shooting, the farther off your bullets will be.

Just another possibility to throw around.

dawico

It could be a parralax issue also. Are your scopes parralax adjustable? If they are not, then they are probably set for 100 yds. If your eye is off to the side a little, it wouldn't matter at 100 yds but it would further out or closer in.

jersey joe

First, unfortunately this is the third time that I have noticied pulling right. I had hoped it was wind but on this past Saturday I had no excuses. If I compensate slightly left I can pull the shot in.
Second, are the crosshairs level? I didn't level with a tool. I didn't consider it a possibility until now.
Third, regarding parralax, my 223 has an adjustable objective, the 270 does not. Both are Leupold VX III and I have kept the non adjustable to 9x.

Thought of something else. My 100 yard target has a perpendicular X which aids my alignment. The 200 yard target is just a big circle. Maybe there is something to the alignment question.

Thanks for the replies.

I'll see what I can do this weekend based on your feedback.

Last edited:

dawico

Joe, an adjustable objective isn't the same thing as parralax adjustment. AO should be set once and not touched again. This is because everyone's eyes are different, and you can set the scope to be focused for your sight. That is usually at the eye end of the scope. Parralax is adjusted on the left side of the turrets or the front end of the scope.

DnPRK

The ocular bell is adjusted to focus the crosshairs. The objective is adjusted to correct for paralax.

Jimro

Zero your rifle for 200 yards.

If when you "dial it back" to 100 you are 1.5 inches left then your scope is to blame. Either improper setup or parallax.

Jimro

Cowboy_mo

+1 for Jimro.

I would also suggest shooting the exact same target at both ranges. Personally I have a lot of trouble shooting 'round only' targets at any range as opposed to a + target.