Exotic Escapees

roy reali

Check out this video.

http://news.yahoo.com/video/kansascity-kmbc-18211647/sue-the-escaped-chimp-resting-at-monkey-island-22540471

They got lucky. The 160 pound chimp was captured before anyone was hurt. A chimp that big could literally rip your arms out and beat you with them. There are folks that own not only pet chimps, but lions, tigers, and bears.

I was wondering, what would be the legal consequences, if any, for shooting one of these animals to defend yourself. You are walking down the street and a large ape or Bengal Tiger or African Lion is coming at you. You draw your weapon and shoot the thing. It is a protected species back where it comes from, but does that extend to your neck of the woods.

I realize that to shoot to defend takes priority. You can't worry about legal hassels when your life is on the line. But, what happens after the dust settles?

Also, would you be able to shoot such an animal? I mean from a moral standpoint.

raftman

Have no idea what the various laws say on the matter, if anything, but I have a hard time imagining one facing criminal charges in a legitimate case of self defense, even if the animal is somewhat exotic. I would think though, the zoo or whatever other facility it may have escaped from may try to hold you financially responsible for the loss of their animal, but it could be bad PR for them to sue someone for protecting themselves against an animal they lost control of. Doesn't mean it can't or won't happen though.

As far as the moral standpoint goes... if one can justify shooting a person that is a threat to their life or the life of someone else, why would it be any different if an animal is posing the same sort of threat?

ClayInTx

As I read the Statutes, here in Texas, any animal which is threatening you, another person, or your domestic animals (livestock or pets) can legally be trapped or killed.

This doesn’t mean you won’t be hassled—you probably will be. That’s the problem: You might beat the rap but you won’t beat the ride.

Bruno2

Oh I definately would. Should the animal not want his species to become extinct then he had better steer clear of my street.;)

Jim March

If a friggin' tiger comes charging in my direction, I'm going to thank God almighty I've got edgy high-end 357 full-house fodder on tap :). "Kitty" is getting as many Gold Dots as I've got handy :eek:.

I was wondering, what would be the legal consequences, if any, for shooting one of these animals to defend yourself. You are walking down the street and a large ape or Bengal Tiger or African Lion is coming at you. You draw your weapon and shoot the thing. It is a protected species back where it comes from, but does that extend to your neck of the woods.

You mean like the Dallas SWAT officer who shot the lose gorilla at the Dallas Zoo?

You have the right to defend yourself.

If the animal is covered by CITES, it is considered protected regardless of location, though there are circumstances that allow for culling, research, etc. Some governments do not enforce CITES declarations.

This may be a bit off topic.....

In Michigan, we have more than a few game ranches that offer hunting opportunities for exotics........not chimps. But one such ranch (near an old hunting area of mine) offers Fallow and Sika deer, hogs, and I believe buffalo.
About 20 years ago I was hunting that area and had an escaped Sika deer wander past my tree stand. It had a highly visible purple tag in it's ear and was standing there a point blank range. Long story short, I let it walk. I later called the DNR and inquired as to what the rule was. The conservation officer first complimented me for not shooting an animal that I wasn't sure I was legally able to shoot. Then he broke my heart. Not only could I have legally shot the deer, I was not required to tag it.

Please.........I am begging any of you out there, don't tell me that Sika deer is the best tasting deer in the world. I don't think my heart can take it.

scottl

.284 similar story happened around here.
Guy the next county over raises deer to make scent attractants.Sum years ago he had aquired some Mule deer orphans from out west.Well one of the bucks got out and he couldn't find it.It showed up at check station that fall.

Brian Pfleuger

Moderator Emeritus
I haven't got the slightest moral problem with killing any animal for good reason. "Food" qualifies as a good reason, sometimes "fun" is enough.

Any animal.

Animals are not people. Our responsibility to them amounts to killing them in such a way as to minimize the pain and suffering.

I wouldn't have the slightest problem with there being a hunting season on ANY animal that had a population sufficient to support the activity. Gorilla, chimpanzee.... whales, dolphins.... whatever. An animal is an animal. If I can squash spiders, swat flies, hunt woodchucks for no reason at all except that it's fun and whitetails because people like the meat and I like sitting in the woods, then any animal is fair game.

Differentials between animals are made by people. Animals "know" two things.... predator and prey.

On the legal question, there isn't a problem. You have the right to defend yourself with lethal force against PEOPLE in all 50 states, there is absolutely no problem with defending yourself with lethal force against an animal. In fact, the standards for so doing are DRASTICALLY lower in virtually all cases.