Excited and scared at the same time!

taylorce1

My 10 year old daughter is going to shoot at the Olympic Training Center for the first time tonight. We've had her on the waiting list for the National Training Center Youth Shooting Program for over a year. She got the call about two weeks ago that there was a slot for her, and she did her orientation on Monday.

I wish I had an opportunity like this when I was a kid, and I'm glad that I'm able to give her this one. She'll be learning 10m air rifle and pistol from some very high caliber coaches. I'm just a little scared how much this is going to cost me down the road if she sticks with it and starts need better equipment than the club can provide! ;)

AZAK

Belay your fears, and remember that it is, "The Indian, not the arrow."

And just keep telling yourself that over and over... even as your wallet gets lighter and your bank account gets smaller over the years as you still continue to support your daughter's (hopefully) interest in accuracy with firearms!

Enjoy your father daughter time!

gwpercle

Don't worry, things like that always have a way of working out, be supportive and give her all the encourgement you can...where there is a will Daddy will find a way. What you do have to worry about is all those cute boy's she's going to meet on them rifle teams. My daughter shot on the local sherrif's departments Junior Deputy rifle team . Most of the young men were nice.

Good luck to your daughter and you.

Gary

taylorce1

The club rifles and pistols will be good enough for now. However, the coaches already stated that if the kids ever want to compete on the national level they'll eventually out shoot the club equipment and we'll have to invest in better equipment. I know I'm a few years off, but if she does well I'll make sure the money is there for he.

$2500 just seems like a fortune for an air rifle. $900+ for shooting pants, shoes, and jacket. I'm kind of praying that she is better with pistol and goes that way as it will be a lot cheaper than rifle. We'll see though what she is best at.

Bart B.

I was at the Olympic Training Center some years ago to talk with their Rifle Team Captain waiting outside the upstairs indoor air gun range. A tour group coming through stopped as the the tour director pointed out that people were in the range shooting air pistols at the 10 meter targets. An elderly lady's jaw dropped watching them, then pointing her finger at the closest one saying to her husband: "Look!! That's a girl shooting that gun." To which her husband calmly replied: "Dear, look carefully; they're all girls." The lady just gasped.

Then the tour guide told them: "In the next room we'll go into, there's some pictures of some International Rifle Champions; one's of a woman." The nice old lady just shook her head. . . . . . Her husband was heard to say: "She's probably a better shot than Annie Oakley was."

International Air Rifle 10 Meter Target, 10 ring's 0.5mm diameter. About the size of the period at the end of this sentence. 9 ring's 5.5mm diameter.

Last edited:

Jim Watson

A friend's niece was on scholarship in her college air rifle team. I think it the last collegiate shooting in the area.

taylorce1

Looks like I might have to move this to a pistol forum! She got to shoot pistols first tonight. She shot a 186 tonight in the final, highest score out everyone shooting tonight. Of course she did have an advantage, she shot what is called Progressive Position Pistol where she was sitting down and got to use a rest.

I'm still proud of her scores though!

1383886500.jpg

1383886477.jpg

Next week on Monday she'll shoot air rifle.

old roper

taylorce1, before he close did ever get over to

Neal Johnson's Gunsmithing, Inc. 30 West Buchanan St.,Colorado Springs

Neal furnish most of the Air rifles/pistol and 22cal for the shooters at the Olympic Training Center.

taylorce1

Old Roper I never did make it over there. I was never interested in this kind of shooting before. I didn't even know that he was over there.

Geezerbiker

I wish I could have afforded something like that for my daughter. I was in one of my cycles of poverty starting when she was about 12. That was also about the time she started shooting my M1911 and would shoot up all the ammo I'd give her.

I loaned her my m1911 to go shooting with her first fiancee and his Marine buddies. After the first outing they refused to shoot with her any more because she made them all look bad...

Tony

taylorce1

I expect my daughter to be schooling me before too long. I'm not a pistol guy by any means, just never had much use for one. I can handle myself okay with them and have taken a few courses on self defense shooting as well as what I've been trained on in the Army. I've just never felt the need to be a target shooter with a pistol, I was always satisfied with center punching a BG target at 10 yards or less. I just figured that was all the better I needed to be.

WhyteP38

I can't give you any advice on how to afford her gear, but I can give you a heartfelt, "Well done, sir, well done."

jimbob86

$2500 just seems like a fortune for an air rifle. $900+ for shooting pants, shoes, and jacket.

Beats the 3+ Grand I've spent on Cheer Camps and uniforms ..... and all they learned was how to jump around and yell ...... seems to me that they did well enough at that without the instruction and spendy uniforms ......

:D

Jimro

Talorce1,

Head over to "targettalk.org" and nose around for a bit. You can get a very nice FWB500 or FWB700 for a lot cheaper than 2500. The shooting clothes are another story as ISSF rules require "buttons" instead of straps, so normal high power jackets dont' work there. I don't see away around not spending the money on a shooting suit, but wait until she stops growing!

Every once in a while you'll find a top of the line Anschutz, Walther, or FWB for sale there which will cut several hundred dollars off the price tag.

Personally I'm considering the SCATT system for home training on air rifle and pistol. I came into the sport way too late in life to do anything but have fun compteting, but I think my sons could be competitive.

Wish your daughter good shooting for me, and remember that colleges do give out shooting scholarships :)

Jimro

davo17

As a kid, I specifically remember sending in (from Boys Life magazine) one of the targets id shot. I received some cool stuff-but never an option to shoot with the olympic team (1992). I was still quite proud and made it up in my later teens.

Sounds like the op's daughter is doing it right.

taylorce1

Wife said I needed a Xanax tonight, because I was so excited. My daughter shot air rifle for the first time tonight. She tied for first in the supported rifle final with a score of 90! It was a 10 shot final because they had the computer scoring screw up and so they had to restart the final. I forgot to get a picture of her final group, but this was her last six shots before she stated the final.

1384225108.jpg

This old man is going to be paying her to teach him to shoot before too long!. She has a tough decision ahead of her, both rifle and pistol coaches were lined up with the sales pitch trying to convince her on what discipline to pursue. I told my daughter it was totally up to her, and she decided to shoot one more night of each to figure it out.

MattShlock

It is routine for Olympic shooters to have one .18 hole at 10 Meters. The Europeans and Japanese will, unfortunately, always be better I suspect.

Gent I worked with's son started down this path. I permanently lent him a Chinese pellet rifle to practice with at home and the coach made him return it to me the next day...