Excel Brand Lead Bullets of Toranto

Dead-Nuts-Zero

Was digging thru some storage boxes week ago and found 1,000 rd. box of 158 gr. SWC w/grease ring. On the label, it said hard lead bullets by Excel Ammo co. of Toranto. I had a purchase date of some 3 years ago at about 35 bucks, cheap even for 3 years ago.

Sorry, I don't remember all details, I put them away. Just got around today to do a Google, only hit was an XD - Forum where someone commented they were not hard lead and had made a mess of his barrel, heavy leading (or something like that).

Anyone heard of these or used them? TFL forum search had one hit back in '02 asking about same I am asking w/little response.

Sorry I don't recall all the details, but want to load em up if they are not total junk.

Sevens

Sorry, I haven't heard of them. But here's what I would do.

I'd make up say, 25 rounds with a light to medium load and shoot them, then take a long hard look down the bore and clean it and see if you are leading up the barrel.

If you aren't leading it up, you can try 'em a little faster. If you are leading it up, they may need to go faster. Bullets that don't obturate have been known to lead up barrels as easily as bullets that are too soft and being pushed too fast.

I wouldn't go out and purchase a heap of cheap cast bullets from some unknown source because they could simply be more trouble than they are worth. But being that you already have them, it seems like a shame not to use them.

You may find that accuracy isn't all that great, but they may make for some cheap plinking rounds.

BHP9

Excel Bullets are CRAP!

Yes they are made in Toronto, Ontario, Canada.

It's looks as though they are out or going out of business.

I found that the lube dried and fell off, so I ended up lubing them with Lee's Liquid Alox.

Just use them, but not in competition.

We concider them to be Dumb Dumb's (as opposed to Dum Dum's).

Dead-Nuts-Zero

I am not surprised, I dug them out again and opened the bag. They don't look like a quality bullet and the grease looked like it was shriking a little. I checked a few with the guage and they were fairly uniform. With the price of lead, maybe sell them to someone who is casting. We could both come out ahead. But I will probably try Sevens idea someday, maybe they will be ok.