Eww!! I bought a Glock.

packa45

I'm not a Glock basher....I swear it. Just that everytime I've went to buy a new gun there was always a better option.....always. Until now. I picked up a Glock 20 today. They still don't fit my hand all that well but these large caliber ones with the thick grips are better than the smaller ones. I think the problem is under the slide (beavertail area) it's not deep enough. That and just the way they point for me. The flat top slide coupled with the grip makes them point strange and I think I'm aiming low. I'll get used to that though. Every one I've shot I get used to the sights and trigger within a few mags. This one won't be any different.

I've wanted a 10mm for a while and decided I didn't want the EAA Witness and didn't want to spend 900$ on a Dan Wesson when I just dropped over a grand on a Sig Blackwater a few weeks ago. I'm gonna put this hog in the bedside drawer once I've put a few hundred rounds through it. I may get some night sights. Maybe I'll just get some of the stick on dots or the paint though. I actually don't mind the Glock factory rear sights. I also love the mags. I've always liked Glock mags. Also like the finish but I've always liked that about Glocks too. Was just the grip thing and lack of a safety I didn't care for. Other than that it's nothing special. Now I got one. I can say that at least.

I've already got a plug for the hole in the bottom of the frame...lol funny story about that. I was looking at holsters while one guy was calling in the paperwork. The other one came over and put in the plug. He yelled across the store "hey I went ahead and put your buttplug in" I just laughed and said "you know it's a good thing we're the only ones in here right now, that sounded way fruity" Also got a fobus paddle holster. I always get leather but then again I never buy Glocks so I'm making this a full change today :cool: I love the fobus. I won't be carrying this thing concealed but I need a holster to cover up the trigger.

Now I just need to go hog hunting with this thing.

I took two pics but they aren't uploading properly right now. I'll put them in later. It's a glock so it looks like all the others but I did take one with my Beretta Px4 on top of it. They match up almost identical. The Glock is about .5 inches longer. Anyway I'm pleased for now. 15 rounds of 10mm is sweet to have on your hip :D Oh it ran me $609. Not too good not too bad. Don't know when I'll get to the range but I'll update this thread when I do. I don't expect any failures cause they're the best thing since sliced bread right? :rolleyes::D

71cb80f3bca2.jpg

With Beretta PX4 on top. Similar in size except thickness. The px4 is thinner and IMO has better ergos....but...it's no 10mm.
f826c3274f61.jpg

Last edited:

HKFan9

Congrats on bringing home an ugly baby:D

In all seriousness I too looked at the 10mm Glock 20(have fired it at the range), just cant bring myself to get it because of ammo prices of 10mm.

I have yet to check out an EAA Witness (no local shops ever have one in stock), but Glock's don't fit my hands either, so would you be able to point out the +'s and -'s between the two that made you get the Glock over the EAA.

packa45

Sure no problem. Like you I've yet to find a shop that has a steel framed Witness 10mm in stock. They all say "I can order you one." Well I'm impulsive. I do my homework at home and then try to rent one if I can before I buy but once I'm ready to buy I want it right then. I wouldn't even consider a poly frame witness in 10mm. Just personal preference. With the Glock though I think it's fine. They've been doing poly for a long time and they hold up so I'm not worried about it blowing up in my hand.

The grips between the two fall to the Witness IMO. That said though, now 3 of the last 4 autos I've bought are big grip guns. (Glock 20, Sig P226 Blackwater, Ruger P95) I still love a good single stack but I find these wide grip guns are nice at the range and feel good and soak up the recoil nicely. The Glocks just never felt right to me but this one feels loads better to me than the smaller 9mm ones I've fired.

The finishes. Kinda a toss up. I like the tenifer Glock finish but I know the wonder finish holds up well too.

Mags. Glock IMO hands down. The 10mm witness had problems with mag followers before. I think it's fixed now though. The new ones have the red follower. The old ones were black and caused jams. I just really like Glock mags and always have. They seem to be built well and the rounds go in smoother than most. BTW the Glock speed loader that came with my new 20 is pure crap. Absolutely the worst one I've ever got with a gun but I'm ordering a universal one anyway.

Trigger. I'd give it to the Witness unless you are used to and like Glock triggers. I don't mind them but I will always prefer a single action to a safe action trigger. The reach to the trigger on the Witness is a negative for some. It's a stretch. Also the DA pull is long and heavy. More than some like.

Fit, Reliablity, etc. I think Glock wins that battle. I've seen some Witnesses that had a nice slide fit and good finish. I've seen others with nasty tool marks and crappy finishes. Since it's more of a toss up I'd say Glock. They all seem to be the same and you don't see bad copies getting past QC as often.

Can't really comment on sights though. If I remember right the Witness just has your regular three dot sights. You can probably get them with adjustable target sights though.

Price goes to the Witness but the Glock is affordable. Aftermarket accessories goes to Glock although you can find quite a bit of things for the Witness/CZ style guns.

Mag capacity goes to Glock. 12 rounds for the Witness 15 for the Glock 20.

The Glock is about 2.5 ounces lighter than the Witness which isn't bad for being all steel but if you are gonna carry it then you might notice a difference. The Glock is way more carry friendly with smoother edges and lower profile sights though.

Anyway I hope that helps you. I'm not pro Glock by any means it was just the better gun for ME at the time. You could save yourself about 200$ dollars with the EAA though if that matters to you.

Hornett

One of these days, I am going to run into the perfect storm of being in just the right place and a little spending money and a good deal on a glock 19 and I am going to bag one and drag it home.

Congrats!

Congrats on the new purchase. I like to think I am partially to blame. :D

I want to see a range report ASAP to see how the full size handles.

I wish I could find a plug for my G29. :(

packa45

Yeah you can take partial blame PBP. I've wanted a 10mm for a long time and have considered the Glock 20 for a while. I just finally decided to pull the trigger, to use a bad pun. It was probably you getting the 29 that made me say screw it and just go buy one. I also saw your plug...it's hideous :D I'd certainly look for a flush fitting one. I'll tell you what...I'm really liking this Fobus paddle holster. I may not buy another one but for this gun it's perfect. I might actually carry it, it holds close to the body very well and this gun isn't really any thicker than my p226. We'll have to see. Might be a while on the range report depending on work but I'll let you know how it shoots.

Oh and I told the owner of the shop I wouldn't be buying anything else for a while this was enough for now since I've been going nuts for the last few months. He just laughed at me and said "whatever man, you got the bug and you got it bad now." :eek: He's probably right.

HKFan9

I'm kind of leaning towards getting a EAA 10mm Steel Witness now, no offense to your new Glock 20, like I said I have shot one and went "Well I'll be damned".

I'm looking to diversify my collection a little and don't have a need for another polymer gun. I like 1911's but until I see a good affordable one the EAA Witness steel has caught my eye.

I loved the snappiness of the 10mm recoil, I shot it with hand loads I have heard iffy things about factory ammo. Anyone know where the "good" if any deals are on 10mm ammo? I have 9mm's to shoot at the range and carry, but I have been wanting to add that extra bite to the bark and become a member of the 10mm fan club.

Problem is finding a damn steel 10mm Witness:(

packa45

Oh no offense taken....at all. Actually I might still get one on down the road. I just decided to get the Glock and give it a try. I hope you do go with the Witness. Give us a range report when you do. For what it's worth some guy on the high road forum said an EAA armory gunsmith told him not to use Buffalo Bore, Corbon, or Double Tap ammo with the Witness 10mm. Those are like all the hot load manufacturers for the 10mm so that didn't sit well with me. Who knows though that's just one guy on a forum so I can't say for certain that using those would cause problems. He might just be making all that up. Finding cheap practice ammo shouldn't be much worse than .45 acp. Same with hollow points. Although that's not saying much because besides .22lr everything is expensive.

HKFan9

Amen to that statement about .22lr. Sad part is even the cost of reloading has/is going up. I used to reload single stage rifle rounds way back when with an uncle of mine, and recently just priced some equipment for maybe getting a progressive pistol press.:eek: prices are a lot different, even single stage. Not to mention the components.

Alleykat

I love my G20. I'd strongly suggest that you go to at least a 20# recoil spring. I'm using the Wolff steel guide rod with 20# spring. If I were shooting really hot 10mm, I'd go with the 22# spring. Yeah, yeah, I know all about, "if those Glock engineers....blah, blah, blah."

I'd jerk out that butt plug, because it's silly and superfluous. I'd get a better holster than a fobus. If you're not already a reloader, I'd seriously suggest that you look into reloading. I can't stand the feel of bare plastic in my hands, particulary on a hot day. Try Agrip. You'll love it.

vox rationis

I'd jerk out that butt plug, because it's silly and superfluous. I'd get a better holster than a fobus. If you're not already a reloader, I'd seriously suggest that you look into reloading.

I used to think that the butt plug is superfluous but there's a small direct connection/channel connecting the empty space to the trigger mechanism and the butt plug can keep sand out of there if you are planning on playing commando at the beach :D

packa45

I think I'll keep the plug. Thanks for your input though. I'll consider what you said but honestly I'm not gonna be shooting this gun a whole lot...nor will it be carried a lot. I like the fobus so far but we'll see. As for reloading.....in the future I probably will.

Last edited: