Ever shot a Stevens Favorite?

Khornet

Favorite

Only shot one about 10,000 times. I bought one for my daughter when she was born. It's an oldie, built around 1890. Bore was shot out or cleaned too much; .22s in those days were blackpowder. I had it sleeved and put a tang sight on it, and have taken many squirrels with it. The modern ones aren't as pretty, and I can't say how well they shoot. If you can find an oldie and clean it up it won't be too costly. Excellent boy's rifle.

Also consider Martini falling block .22 target rifles, check at
www.martinigallery.com

Last month a buddy picked up a Marlin/Ballard, a beautiful .22 falling block, more like a Martini action.

JB in SC

I've shot an original and a reproduction made in the early 70's. Haven't shot one of the new 30G's yet. I missed out on the Varner's when they were available about ten years ago. They still have a website, although I've never been able to get in touch with anyone via email or phone. Maybe they will answer.

Varner

Commander Fan

Think twice about the new Savages.

I bought one(30G) last year for $219 because I always wanted one. It is the poorest fit and finished firearm I've ever had.

The bore must be off-center to the blank. Where the octagon turns to round there's 1/16-1/8" ledge on one side and it's straight/flat on the other. I'm sure this one bounced like a SOB when the lathe was turned on to create the half-round look. This one just isn't right.

Also, the stock was so poorly finished that I got my whiskers cought in the grain. I had to remove the stock and sand it down. I then used Tung oil to refinish it.

The factory trigger must be set up for mostly youth shooting. Mine measured 9 lbs at first. I clipped a coil and stoned the sear/hammer contact surfaces. It's at 5 lbs now. A person could take it lower but I was fine with it.

It is actually very accurate, even with the simple factory sights. I spent an hour taking out pop cans from 50-100 yds one day. This was the only time I've ever shot it.

It is only worth half of what it sells for.

1)Wood finish was terrible.
2)Most manufacturers wouldn't let a barrel like mine leave the factory.
3)I've seen WW2 parkerized 'beaters' that look better than the metal finish Savage chose for these.
4)Trigger was horrible also.

Make sure you see one in person if you plan on buying. I got screwed because I had mine special ordered as soon as I heard they were being produced again. I do like the little bugger though.

If you search the SINGLE SHOT forum at talk.shooters.com you will find my initial report. It's probably been 1 to 1 1/2 years now. There was a lot of unimpressed owners like me there.

Good Luck

JB in SC

I finally did get a reply from Varner and they will be taking orders when their backlog is caught up (4 months). I did see one of the original production runs and they were very nice. Just an update.

Hemicuda

Grew up shooting my friends Stevens Crackshot... (he shot my Springfield bolt-cocker alot too)

I have such a soft spot for them that I have a favorite and 2 crackshots in my collection now...

fine little weapons... EVERYOnE oughtta have to start on a single shot .22 like that...

Much like Khornet... probably only 10K rounds through one...

not the best gun, but DAMN fun to shoot! (I still love plinking with one, and the best one is still my friends... we've both still have our original single shot .22's, and both have bought duplicates to eachothers guns, go figure...)

thisaway

I have one of the 30Gs which I bought last year. Mine was less-than-attractive as far as its wood goes...I sanded it down with #0000 steel wool and hand-rubbed it with linseed oil. It is quite smooth now, and the oil finish feels great.

I have tried the cheap Federal .22 ammo in a 550-round box from Wal-Mart, CCI Green Tag, Winchester T22, and one box of Eley Standard Pistol. It does well with all, but it does seem to prefer the target stuff. For a fun plinker and squirrel-getter, I think it's hard to beat.

Penman

Stevens Favorite

Okay, a NG here...I bought one of the reintroductions in the very early 70's, they had two models, a std and deluxe. The deluxe had a walnut stock and an octagonal barrel. Got the deluxe model, and a gunsmith grooved the barrel to take the clamp-on mounts of one of the small tubed Weaver .22 scopes. Not a great scope, but it was in proportion to the rifle. It did break a couple fo firing pins. Sold it in a not-very-bright moment.