Ever Seen An Arisaka Like This?

FALPhil

I was literally out in the middle of nowhere yesterday, and I ran across a Teishin Rakkasan Shyoujyu Type 2. Never seen one in this good of shape. It is now in my safe. :D It is a genuine war trophy and I got the provenance with it. All matching.

406371768.jpg

406371774.jpg

406371773.jpg

406371771.jpg

406371770.jpg

tahunua001

ok phil... you have officially made me jealous... I would love to one day find one at all, no less in such good condition... if you don't mind my asking how much did you spend? that's a $2000 rifle easily.

FALPhil

I was thinking more like $3500, because I saw one at Chuck's Firearms for that much and it is not near as good of shape.

Would you believe a yard sale for $100, "because you can't get ammo for it anymore?" That would make a good story, but it wouldn't be the truth. This rifle was brought home by a US Navy carpenters mate (now known as damage controlman) on an LST which was the 3rd vessel inside Tokyo Bay on 29 August 1945 for the surrender ceremony. After unloading security troops, weapons, and vehicles on the Japanese navy pier and establishing a perimeter, the sailors were allowed to go ashore in small parties for short periods to gather souveniers. There was a pile of rifles on the pier. The sailor who chose this rifle picked it up because "it was different from all the others." After a couple of days, the skipper on the vessel ordered all souvenier small arms turned in to the gunners mate so that the mums could be defaced (McArthur's orders) and the firing pins be removed. The rifle was turned in, recorded in inventory, the firing pin removed. Upon returning to the US (San Diego), the rifle was taken out of inventory and returned to the carpenters mate. Unknown to the captain, the carpenters mate and the gunners mate were best friends. The rifle was returned to the carpenters mate with an intact mum and the firing pin (with the correct number) was returned separately.

So, how much did I pay? Nothing. The carpenters mate was married to my mother's older sister. He knows that I have a WWII collection and a while back he and I had a discussion that war trophies are such a piece of history need to stay in the family. A few months ago, my aunt died. This weekend was the first time that I had a chance to see him since the funeral. He literally lives out in the middle of nowhere. I was asking him about some of his Navy days, and he asked if I remembered our conversation. I told him I did, and he said, "I want you to keep my war trophy in the family." He took me back to his bedroom and pulled the rifle out. It was wrapped in an old curtain. When he unwrapped it, I almost peed myself. I told him one of his grandsons should have it. Neither of his children nor any of his 4 grandchildren have any interest, so he gave it to me for safekeeping.

It will hold a place of honor alongside the Type 99 that was brought back from the Philippines by my wife's cousin.

tahunua001

amazing story... it's such a great thing to see such guns stay in the family and go to people that appreciate them.

that gun is worth more than my whole milsurp collection put together and you got it for free :eek:

I think I hate you just a little bit;)

Vibe

FALPhil
My grandmothers brother brought back a Type 44 with a similar story. Their step sister got it from him and gave it to me some 45 years ago. I recently continued the tradition and gave it to my neice. It was in fair condition, same as it was when I got it - minus the mum and dust cover - but he had put a GI M1 carbine sling on it, which it still wears.

Tuzo

Your story. and other similar stories, makes this forum worthwhile. Thank you for posting the photos and history lesson.

FALPhil

Thanks, everyone. I didn't do anything to deserve this. But I do truly love my uncle and have all my life. Some of my fondest childhood memories are from the days I spent on his farm. I really wish one of his grandsons was interested. He is actually an in-law to me. If one of them ever expresses interest, I will surrender it, with the stipulation that if they are ever tempted to sell it, I get first right of refusal.

I think I hate you just a little bit

Tell you what, tahunua. If I come up to Idaho, you take me hunting in the Pahsimeroi. I'll bring it with me and you can put a magazine full down range.

scrubcedar

What a beautiful example of gun makers art. That it is mass produced military is amazing. Does anyone know how the chrysanthemums on the bolt were made?

Mausermolt

Thanks for sharing that story! Milsurp rifles have a special place in my heart. i wish all of my old war horses had a voice like yours does. it sounds like that rifle will be passed down generation upon generation, telling an amazing story of this countrys greatest generation.

if it was mine, numbers wouldnt be able to accurately describe its value.

enjoy your wonderful piece. :)

tahunua001

What a beautiful example of gun makers art. That it is mass produced military is amazing. Does anyone know how the chrysanthemums on the bolt were made?

the mums are stamped onto the receiver, not the bolts. sometimes you'll find one that was double struck as it wasn't deep enough the first time.
Tell you what, tahunua. If I come up to Idaho, you take me hunting in the Pahsimeroi. I'll bring it with me and you can put a magazine full down range.
I'm not exactly certain what a Pahsimeroi is but if you are ever in the Lewiston area let me know, I have some places to plink that few ever see:cool:

TX Hunter

That is an awesome Arisaka, I am so glad Bubba didnt get this one. That Rifle needs to be preserved just like it is.

James K

Member In Memoriam
The checkering pattern on the Arisaka safety was machined, apparently in a two-pass operation. The lines on the side would have been put on by forcing the part through a die. That was done while the part was "in the white" and soft; it would be hardened and rust blued later.

All that work was eliminated in the late-war rifles, where the weld that joined the knob and the spindle was left as it was and the safety knob was not checkered.

Jim

scrubcedar

Thanks James. I may end up getting a nice arisaka just because I find them beautiful. I love good machinery that looks good too.