Ever hit your forehead with your scope (honestly)?

Ever hit your forehead with your scope (honestly)?

• Yes, I admit it

Votes: 78 49.1%
  • No, me? Never!

Votes: 78 49.1%
  • To embarrassed to answer

Votes: 3 1.9%

• Total voters

Para Bellum

...it happened to me today. I had to get into a weird shooting position which I would never have chosen myself, but it was part of a training session I had to attended. And then, bang, the scope on the rifle I have shot often and well before hit me on the forehead. The good news is: Shooting and even that very group was very satisfactory. I was nine hours ago and now it stars swelling (was a cold day outdoors....).

I apparently disregarded the fact that I was much thicker dressed than normal and that my weak hand wasn't where it usually is, stabilising the butt into my shoulder. I will not forget that lesson. Pretty embarassing after 31 years of shooting.....:rolleyes:

Big Bill

my weak hand wasn't where it usually is, stabilising the butt into my shoulder.
What kind of training session teaches you this? Why wasn't your weak hand supporting the forend of the rifle? BTW, what caliber were you shooting?

N00b_Shooter

I watched it happen to a few people on youtube, looks painful. I dont think i've shot anything with enough kick to do that myself but knowing my luck it WILL happen eventually.

G'day NOOb, given insufficient practice with your new Remington in .308 I dont think it would take many outings. It will most likely happen when you try an unusual position and you dont hold the gun into your shoulder just right.

Odd Job

Mine was quite bizarre: a scope came loose on a crossbow and hit me then hit the floor.
That sucks because it isn't even 'manly' :p

sholling

Yup been there with a scope with too little eye relief and a whole lot of recoil. That scope has since been replaced.

partemisio

Yes, when I shot my first rifle. It was a 300winmag and I thought I had to get right on the scope just about to get a good shot. I didn't get a bruise or anything though. It hasn't happened since then.

Ghost22

Don't hold a .30-06 with a loose grip offhand. My first or second outing with a centerfire rifle I got off the bench and held my dad's Savage 110 as loose as I held my .22s. The result was sore forehead and a hard learned lesson: hold hunting rifles tightly.

Swampghost

I've been 'tapped' but never enough to cut or bruise. Ever since a buddy of mine took some cut lead from a LEO's revolver (in the lane next to him, 2 surgeries to fix) I've worn eye protection. If the scope taps your glasses it's time to rethink the scope/mounting.

ejfalvo

Yep, 30-06, shooting left handed on a right-handed bench. Weird position (Im left handed), nice cut with blood over my left eye.

Harleyfixer

Yup, 45-70 max load with 500gr bullets. Cut my forehead and bruised my shoulder. Pulled the bullets and reloaded with 405 gr.:eek:

rrp

Never lean over the hood of a 62 Nova, shooting a 30-06 pump action carbine. The good thing is it will only happen one time!!! :)

rantingredneck

Not my forehead, but I got the bridge of my nose once real good with a scoped inline muzzleloader shooting 150 gr's of Pyrodex pellets with a 245 gr bullet sitting on top of it. Scope didn't have proper eye relief for muzzleloading. No longer have that scope on that gun.

When I cracked my nose with it, it bled through the pores of my skin and the next day both my eyes were black. (think I broke my nose :D).

A/C Guy

Only with my .450, so I changed from the scope to a holographic sight. Holographic sights have unlimited eye relief, so that's all I'll use on big bores.

N00b_Shooter

G'day NOOb, given insufficient practice with your new Remington in .308 I dont think it would take many outings.

LOL, Thanks for the vote of confidence SKULLANDCROSSBONES65 :D, I have to say that i think your right though, its exactly what i was thinking about when i wrote it. That or dads 7mm Rem Mag (Dont have the guts to shoot it though...yet)