Ever heard of "Maximum allowed hunting range ..."

TXAZ

Maybe in NJ?

Heard a discussion about "the maximum allowed hunting (or shooting) range" was so many yards, which seemed a little strange.

In Texas and a few other states I'm familiar with, you can't shoot across a property line which gives you an effective max range of 1 Planck length to 20 miles, but no hard limit I'm aware of.

Are there / what are the limits if any in your state?

Last edited:

buck460XVR

Never heard of such a thing. Shooting across roads or property lines is a no-no in most states. Here in Wisconsin, shooting across property lines is criminal trespass.

stinkeypete

Google doesn't find anything but I did find out that you can't hunt in Maine on Sundays... which would stink if you had a regular sort of job!

TXAZ

Where did you get 100 yards? I don't recall any laws saying you have to be 100 yards from the property line.

And, in Texas, you can shoot across property lines with landowners' written permission. https://statutes.capitol.texas.gov/Docs/PW/htm/PW.62.htm

Thanks.
It was an example.
But I fixed it for you:
In Texas and a few other states I'm familiar with, you can't shoot across a property line which gives you an effective max range of 1 Planck length to 20 miles, but no hard limit I'm aware of.
Is that more accurate?

Last edited:

jmr40

The justification for shotguns, muzzleloaders and very specific rifle rounds only is to limit the range of the projectiles in many more heavily populated regions of the country. I know of no laws or regulations which list a specific range.

mxsailor803

So glad SC, home state that I still hunt, has no real crazy regulations. We also have one of the longest seasons I’ve ever heard of (Aug15-Jan1).

Is that more accurate?

So you aren't actually familiar with Texas? I cited the law for you. In Texas, you CAN shoot across property lines if you have written permission of the landowners on each side, or if you own each side of the property line.

TXAZ

So you aren't actually familiar with Texas? I cited the law for you. In Texas, you CAN shoot across property lines if you have written permission of the landowners on each side, or if you own each side of the property line.
You’re adding conditions to the original post, that you’d have to get permission, which is not part of the question.
Thanks.

Scorch

Many states are trying to deal with "long range hunting" and the issues it can cause (wounded/lost game, near misses with other hunters, property damage, etc). Several years ago, Idaho addressed the issue by limiting the weight of hunting rifles so people wouldn't take their .50 BMG bolt rifle out and bang an elk at 1,000 yds, so folks put massive brakes on their rifles, reduce the rifle's weight, and do it anyway. But I see videos of people shooting 338 Lapua, 338 Ultra mag, 300 Win Mag, you name it, at >800 yds like it's something to brag about (what, you can't get any closer?). It would make sense to limit how far a shooter can shoot a game animal, but how would they enforce it? Can't fix stupid, I guess.

T. O'Heir

"...Heard a discussion about..." Where? It sounds like a bar room discussion.
Mind you, it's possible some unelected civil servant was making stuff up about things he/she knew nothing about. Might be a range fall zone thing too.
"...Planck length..." That is not a standard unit of measure outside of particle physics and physical cosmology. Even in Texas. A Planck length is a unit of length that is the distance light in a perfect vacuum travels in one unit of Planck time. Sounds more and more like a bar argument. snicker.
"...you can't hunt in Maine on Sundays..." Parts of Southern Ontario are like that.

MarkCO

Scorch, it is a problem that is becoming more problematic. The technology has increased to the point that the slob hunters of old, who missed at 500 yards, are now wounding. It is a problem I don't want solved for the skilled ethical hunter, but which I would like solved for those who can't handle it. Lowest common denominator is where we are headed. Speed limits in the early 1900s to wear your mask in 2020. We keep trying to legislate morality and responsibility into a population that needs a few throat punches.

I have "guided" a few wounded soldiers, or otherwise disabled hunters. Getting them close is often not a doable proposition. But we are on private land and I am on my match gun in case something goes wrong. Have not had any issue, but it is such a controlled environment and shots I'd not even take without the controls and conditions created to help these guys get their lifetime dream hunts.