Ever dropped your handgun?

waterhouse

I've had a couple get bumped of tables at the range or off the cleaning bench over the years. I usually get my foot under it to break the fall, so I've never had one hit very hard.

A few scratches and scuffs, but they still work just fine.

DonR101395

Fifteen years ago right after I got married I was folding up the sleeper sofa since we were too financially challenged(poor) to buy a real bed I managed somehow to unsnap my shoulder holster and my 1911 fell out and hit the bed frame. It scuffed the parkerizing on top of the slide a little but not deep. I still have it and it still works fine.

joab

A few times, sometimes on purpose.
Never any significant damage just a scratch here and there.

I dropped an unloaded 1911 on it's cocked unsafed hammer from about five feet onto concrete once to see what would happen.
Nothing, but a little metal compression on the tip of the hammer and a mar on the bottom of the main spring housing

Hook686

I once dropped the Walther P-38 that my dad brought back from WWII. :eek: The fall broke the magazine retaining clip. My gunsmith had the pistol 4 weeeks before he found a replacement piece and installed it ... cost to me was $25.
It happens ... though I never dropped one of my children. ;)

croyance

No, never.

I believe this was recently asked - within the last few months - here or at The High Road. A search will yield answers.

yomama

I haven't but was just at a gun show that a guy dropped his glock. I can tell you all, it is one of the most painful sounds in the world!

It's not vengence, it's punishment - The Punisher

root

myself, no.

my mother dropped my USPf when I took her to the shooting range. it was cocked and locked at the time, I watched it fall in slow motion (only had the gun for about 3 weeks at the time) and land on the rocks/shells (outdoor range).

not a scratch on it, no AD. I checked to make sure no rocks worked their way into the barrel and we continued to shoot.

I dropped my Kel-tec P11 onto some concrete from about waist level many years ago. A little "road rash" damage, but it's only a Kel-tec, so no biggie.:D One of my friends dropped my Sig P239 onto a linoleum floor from about waist high. The decock lever broke. Very disappointing. It still functioned if you hooked a fingernail on it, though.

FirstFreedom

Many times. Usually on the carpet in the house, when it fall from my smart carry pouch upon removal. But other times too. Luckily, I buy quality handguns that won't go off with this treatment, and receive only minor marks if anything at all. Also, luckily for me, my guns and other stuff I own are considered tools. For working. So a mark here and there just adds character; doesn't bother me in the least. Cannot afford a barbeque gun - yet.

payne

Dropped my XD and USP both onto carpeted floors before. Ofcourse that wasn't a problem. Those drops were from about 3.5 feet.

gb_in_ga

Yep -- my Bersa .380 has come out of its cheap-o Uncle Mike's IWB more times that I'd care to think. So far, no harm done. I've GOT to get me a better holster for it...

eagle24

Nope, but I dropped my wife's new digital camera last week (in her presence). She was :mad:. Her response: "If that had been one of your guns you would'nt have dropped it!".:rolleyes: I did'nt tell her, but she was right.:D

Tom2

Challenge

Nope! How can you claim they will have to pry it from your dead fingers if you drop it easily? You drop things when you are distracted from what you are doing. My focus is on that firearm when I got it in my hands. Cat knocked it off the table does not count! :D

bclark1

not a handgun, definitely had rifles and shotguns fall before but i think i've been pretty good with my pistols.

haha at the digital camera too. i've done that before. cell phones take the worst from me though.

dpetreikis

i hae to admit it but yes, i've dropped a gun.

it was about 6 months ago, i had a taurus .22 revolver which i had bought for plinking and was on my way home from work. as i got out of the car, i had to carry my bag and some other stuff so i tucked the gun inside the waistband of my jeans. just about then , my wife came out of the house with the dogs on their leashes and she took off running with them. one of the dogs got loose and she called for me to run and catch it. not thinking, i took off running. it didn't take long for my (holsterless) revolver to work its way up out of the waistband and fall to the pavement, bouncing and clattering along the way. i was mortified! but the little gun was barely fazed - a slight scuff on the top edge of the front sight blade and a tiny nick in the butt end of the rubber grip. not another mark!

i never ran with that gun again and ONLY carry in holsters since then. :rolleyes:

Scorch

Dropped my 1911 once right in front of a cop who claimed to have never seen one (true!). Put it in the holster, snapped the strap with the edge of my utilities top (BDUs to you civilians) in it, and when I moved, the snap opened and the piece hit the dirt! I tried to act cool, but I thought the cop was going to mess himself when he saw it falling! He was trying to get away before it hit the ground (thought it would fire)!
No harm, no foul. A scratch or two, but no damage.

OkieCruffler

I used to have a little Keltec P32 that I carried in my watch pocket with the pocket clip. I was getting out of the truck at a resturant and the seat belt caught on the pistol and pulled it out. Then when I was bending down to pick it up, I kicked it and sent it skittering across the parking lot. Put a few scratches on it and gave the wife unending ammo to humiliate me.