Ever bought from an online shop or gun auction?

Ever bought a gun from an online auction or store?

• Yes

Votes: 31 75.6%
  • No

Votes: 10 24.4%

• Total voters
I've started to look around the gunbroker auction site, and it made me wonder if I was doing something ok or not...who all has bought online, and any bad experiences?

Mind you, I've bought from PEOPLE and have done out of state FFL transfers, without problems, but never from an auction...should be the same I would imagine.

bermo61

Yep..used gunbroker a lot and only good experiences. Lots of stuff listed from gun dealers in other states..new in box..just better deals than shops in my area. My Kahr PM9 was almost $200 less on line. Don't be shy about trying them.

choochboost

I bought my USP from a private seller on the boards at www.hkpro.com. I think forums are the best place to buy. You can search through the members other posts and get a sense of who he is and what he's all about. You can see how many posts he's made and what kind of reputation he has. A lot of guys post on different forums and they have a reputation to protect. I made another purchase from a guy that I knew to be a member on both TFL and Glock Talk. That gave me ample opportunity to find out what he was all about. Most forum members are helpful gun enthusiasts who are happy to see their gun find a good home. They know that if the deal goes south the seller will post something about the raw deal he got. It's in his best interest to deal fairly and honestly with you. If not buying from a forum, I highly recommend getting the seller on the phone before the deal goes through. Chat him up and ask a lot of questions, and you can get a sense of what the guy is all about. Guys who are only trying to rip you off are consumed with getting your money quickly and that becomes apparent. Sellers who are legit are more often concerned with facilitating the transaction, answering all your questions, and making sure you are happy. Sure there are con men out there, but if you are discerning and use wisdom, you can protect yourself from getting ripped off.

Crosshair

I bought my Enfield 2A off of gunbroker for $200. After shooting it. I would have paid $400 for it. I LOVE it.:) Going to get a no gunsmith scope mount since my eyes have a hard time with open sights.

deanadell

I use GunBroker and Auctionarms all the time. As a matter of fact, I'm waiting on the UPS man now to deliver my latest purchase.:D

GHT

I have used Gunbroker several times.

The whole system seems to work very well. Much like Ebay.

In fact the bidding system at Gunbroker is more efficient than Ebay, in that if a bid is made in the last 15 minutes the end time is extended. This avoids last second sniping and ensures that the seller gets a fair auction price.

G

waterhouse

All the time. Although the shipping can be pricey, searching for used guns for good prices at pawn shops and local stores takes a lot of time. I find it much easier to enter what I want in the gunsamerica or gunbroker search engine and find what I want without leaving the house.

poppy

I have used gunbroker to purchase 2 used and one new pistol, only because they were not available locally for the same kind of price. All good experiences so far, but one has to do their homework. Don't assume anything, check feedback, ask questions, etc.

Have also bought from a forum member on another board. Good experience.

It is certainly not my first choice in buying firearms and I will only do so for a really good price or if my choice is not available locally. poppy

SGHOTH

Have purchased from GB AA and GA many times as well as from online forums. The more obscure the firearm you are looking for the less likely you will be able to find it at a local dealer. I do about 3/4 of my firearm purchases online now.

stealthmode

gunbroker.com, galleryofguns.com, and a few out of state dealers with web sites. i almose have to buy online and from out of state because everything here in CA is too expensive in the stores.

ride-a-aug

yes have bought on auctions online ,have gotten real good deals you got to just look for them some times you just have to wait for the right deal.I been stiffed once ,but when an officer showed up at his door with a warrant he quickly produce my monies back. Always check feedback, dealers are more secure than buying from a indivisual , get phone #'s , ask questions. Remember if it sound to good to be true than it probaly is ! Good Luck.

I've bought IIRC 4 guns via online sales...

All have been excellent experiences.

Hum... let me think about this...

A Browning Buckmark private sale. Gun was advertised as used by the owner, but he could have easily sold it as brand spanking new.

A Smith & Wesson .32-20 Hand Ejector.

An S&W Model 30, 2". Another one that was obviously used (made in the early 1970s) but was in exceptional condition. Unfortunately, no box or papers.

An S&W 24-3 from a shop in Pennsylvania. Advertised without box/papers/tools. Shop said those items didn't come with the gun when it came in on consignment. It had definitely been used, but well cared for. Price was good, but not great, but I wanted it. When it showed up? Box, papers, and tools were with it. The consignee walked in the door, back from vacation, and said "I should have given you these..."

A Remington Model 81 in .300 Savage.

In all cases, the guns were as advertised, or better.