Ever been in a situation where you needed your laser?

anonimoose

Shooters,

The recent thread "Ever been in a situation where you needed your gun?" was great -- reading real-life stories from TFLers was both sobering and inspiring.

With the proliferation of laser sights (Crimson Trace, LaserLyte, LaserMax, Streamlight, Surefire, Viridian, etc) and all the threads out there talking about their pros and cons, I thought it would be helpful to have a similar thread - "Ever been in a situation where you needed your laser?"

It'd be interesting to read more stories like this:

MikeNice81

Last night I was able to see the intimidation that a red dot can cause first hand. I witnessed two cops pull out tasers on a very out of hand psych patient. The mere sight of the red dot on his chest changed the whole dynamic. The guy went from Super Man to compliant very quickly. He was instantly terrified of what would happen next.

It has me rethinking the idea of a laser for my CCW. I was amazed at the psychological advantage it gave those officers. It worked much faster than I would have imagined.

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=453569&page=4

Very Respectfully,
Moose

kraigwy

Not very dramatic, but I used a laser one night to kill a rattler under my back steps. It was dark enough I couldn't have used the sights.

Willie Lowman

Mounted one to a paintball gun once. More for the look than anything else.

Found it somewhat useful for holding the gun around a corner and looking through cracks in the barricade I was hiding behind to aim and shoot.

Mobuck

My nightstand Ruger P95 has a mounted laser because I know how effective lasers are in low light conditions. I discovered the effectiveness using a laser mounted 22lr to dispose of varmints that find their way onto my deck at night. No flashlight needed-just the dim illumination from the dusk to dawn light in the yard. No need to be in a position to see the sights-just crack the door enough to stick my shooting hand/arm past the doorframe.
I have no doubt that anyone who's ever seen that dot on their person has given their next action some serious thought(or else they're totally out of control).

Irish B

Have a flashlight/laser combo along with fiber optic sights on my hd shotgun. Used it once on a baar

Last edited:

m&p45acp10+1

I have a light and laser mounted on the scope of my .177 cal air rifle for dispatching varmints at night. When I lived in a more rural setting it was invaluable. Most of the varmints like to come out at night, and getting a shot with the sights is just not gonna happen in that kind of darkness.

TXAZ

Yes, but...

But not what you are thinking. I have an aftermarket rail mounted laser that changes the balance of one of my pistols to (I believe) be a more stable platform and something I really like.
As far as needing it for targeting, not yet. As noted above I also like them in lower light.