Even More Amazing: The 10mm Auto

ArmaLube

For personal defense and law enforcement applications, the 10mm pistol cartridge does it all and does it very well. Use a light weight bullet, say 135 gr., running at around 1400 fps, and you have BIG ENERGY and awesome hitting power. Using 200 gr. bullets, you can have a different mode of pile driving impact.

You could venture into the realm of nuclear powered handguns, choosing from a variety of monster cartridges, including the .454 Casull, .50 AE, .500 S&W Magnum, 440 Cor-Bon, 475 Linebaugh, etc. This class of cartridges certainly has a place and offers choices well-suited to hunting large and dangerous game. However, for tasks related to self defense and police work, it is makes sense to tone it down a little. Although the present standard for these uses is the .40 S&W, the 10mm auto is well worth considering.

Learn more about the fascinating 10mm auto cartridge at some of these interesting references:

http://www.handgunhunt.com/columns/gcs_jun03.html
http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/news/849728/posts
http://hunting.about.com/library/weekly/aasthandguncartsa.htm
http://home.earthlink.net/~gnappi/
http://www.bren-ten.com/main-site/id2.html
http://www.glock.com/10.htm
http://www.gunsandammomag.com/gun_columns/skelton_0304/
http://www.thegunman.com/pistol/p28.htm

Available in several fine loadings, the 10mm is eminently adequate for virtually any defense or law enforcement purpose. That is to say, it is a very respectably powerful cartridge, without crosssing over into the 'nuclear realm'. As is obvious, too much power as exhibited within the nuclear realm slows down repeat shot capabilities, necessitates substantially larger weapons, and reduces ease of control and accurate shot placement.

Full power 10mm loads, on the other hand, can be accomodated by reasonably compact pistols. The 10mm easily eclipses all other cartridges in handguns of comparable size efficiency. It is, therefore, what many consider to be an ideal choice for serious defense purposes. A favorite of many is the no longer produced Smith & Wesson Model 1076. Although slightly heavy, the 1076 is almost surprisingly compact. This powerhouse is not difficult to carry or conceal. Additionally, it is strong, durable, and accurate. Fans of the 1076 have obviously discovered a good thing.

Hopefully, pistols chambered in the 10mm auto will appear in greater variety in the future.

Boats

A lack of platforms is the 10mm conundrum. If people bought more 10mms more companies would make them, but only if more companies would make 10mms so that more people would buy them in the first place, etcetera, etcetera. :confused:

jacklaura1

Armalube; Who are you shilling for with that 10mm bit?
The round had it's chance and it lost. Let sleeping dogs lie :mad:

CastleBravo

It is kind of wierd how Armalube keeps pimping calibers at random with these little essays. :D

I would expect somebody in SF to be put off by more powerful calibers like 10mm Auto, however. :p

juliet charley

In terms of law enforcement or personal defence, the 10mm doesn't offer anything more the 9x19, 357 SIG, .40 S&W, and .45 ACP do. In terms of hunting, there is bigger and better available. The 10mm really shines is versatility though--it does all things well. It is fully as powerful (but no more so) than the most powerful .357 Magnum loaders but in a autopistol format.

Brasso

Whats' amazing is that Glock sold more 10mm's last year than any other year it's been in production. Hardly dead. With the smaller companies producing real 10mm ammunition, people are pulling it out of the safe, dusting it off, and once again using the uber .40 they way it was intended.

With the right ammo it will expand larger than the .45acp and penetrate as deep.

It's also more powerful than the .357mag. I just got some DoubleTap ammo. 180gr golddot at over 1300fps. It's pretty hard to find handload data on the .357mag that even comes close to that.

croyance

I lost my old bookmarks, but there is a company that loads hollowpoints for the 10 mm that is 200 grains and 1200 fps. A bit better than the .45 ACP for defense, at least on paper, but not hugely so.

juliet charley

It's also more powerful than the .357mag. I just got some DoubleTap ammo. 180gr golddot at over 1300fps. It's pretty hard to find handload data on the .357mag that even comes close to that.
Not hardly. Buffalo Bore's factory .357 Magnum ammo delivers more FPE and ME out of a four-inch S&W 686 than Double Tap's 10mm delivers out of Glock 20. For example: Item 19B/20-170gr JHC = 1411 fps or Item 19A/20-180gr. Hard cast LFN = 1375 fps.

denfoote

Been there. Done that!!

I already have a G29 10mm.
My problem is the cost of keeping it fed!!
10mm rounds are running right at about $20/box for the plinking stuff here in AZ!!
I don't even want to think about what the self defense rounds cost!!! :eek:
It is a neat pistol, though!! :D

litework

How well does Buffalo Bore's 200 grain -220 grain ammunition perform in .357 magnum? Armalube makes some good points about the 10mm's versatility. The 10mm has become more popular and is not a dying round. When everyone was making the switch to .40 (me included), the only information we had came from the gun rags and gun shops, who got their information from...the gun rags. I heard so much bull crap about the 10mm and over penetration, that I purchased a Glock 23 instead of a Glock 20...huge mistake.

Now that the internet has spread the "real" word, people are starting to notice the 10mm again, and for good reason. What other auto loading pistol caliber, provides a person with so much versatility? The Glock 20 has become my "trail gun" because I believe 16 rounds of 10mm in a gun that is easily carried and deployed will trump anything I have in my collection.

Brasso

Interesting ammo buffalo bore has in .357mag. My Speer manual doesn't show anything close to that. However, a .357mag won't expand into the .80 and .90 inch range either. :D

FALshootist

For me the 40 does everything I need it to do in a 9mm sized package. It doesn't matter whether its the 10mm lite or max load Double Taps. The 10mm doesn't work any better than the 40, 45, and most 9mms in a defensive shooting situations (it doesn't work any worse either, its just not as convenient to carry). Most 10mm factory loads are pretty much around 40 levels so why carry the bigger gun with more expensive harder to find ammo. For me I find it hard to beat the size power and mag capacity available from a Glock 27.

For hunting the 357, 41 and 44 magnums can take care of all the 10mm can do and more. With the exeception of the 41 they are usually alot cheaper to feed and the ammo is available everywhere.

cratz2

Again, like the 357 SIG, I don't see how a 165 Gr Gold Dot bullet will expand or penetrate significantly more when fired out of a 10mm reamed barrel than a 40S&W barrel. Now, with heavier bullets, or more solidly constructed bullets, or even bullets that expand marginally at 40S&W speeds, I can see the advantage of the extra velocity the 10mm offers.

I still think that the best bullets in 9x19, 40S&W and 45ACP cover all the bases that the 357SIG and the 10mm might possibly marginally cover better. But it's good to have the options of 10mm and 357SIG

TIR

I love my 10mm but wouldn't carry it if I could handle the recoil of a 12ga. hand gun, even with bird shot it hurts like hell. I don't see a big enough difference in 40, 10 or 45acp. to argue over and none of them are truly that reliable at stopping someone compared to a rifle or shotgun. So pick one and shutup and go to the range to practice because one shot from these is probably not going to cut it. Just my opinionated .02.

Jody Hudson

With the current, tamed down, loadings of 10mm... I am prone to go with a .45 now.

Here is a table of comparison I just came across...

BALLISTIC COMPARISON TABLE
Cartridge Brand Bullet Velocity
(G20/21) Velocity
.45 ACP CCI 230gr 829 fps
.45 +P Cor-Bon 185gr 1218 fps
10mm Cor-Bon 135gr 1390 fps
10mm Cor-Bon 180gr 1170 fps

Thus putting the Corbon .45 +P at MORE power than the Corbon 10mm

croyance

Texas Ammunition Company:
10 mm 200 grain 1250 fps. 694 ft-lb of muzzle energy from a 5" barrel.
Go with the 10 mm if energy is your main concern.

J. Parker

Oh please, the 10mm isn't any more the "magic' calibre than the 9mm, the 357 sig, the 40cal or the good 'ol 45. Where it does shine is in the woods. IMO, it's a great "all-arounder' for the woods. For "urban" setting applications it doesn't stand out in any special way. Don't let ft lbs of energy and ballistics cloud you mind. It's all very simple........a 38 calibre expanding bullet. See? Easy. :)

mrstang01

Jody, the 10mm from Cor-bon has been downloaded to keep from outshining their own .400 Cor-bon. Try McNett's Double Tap ammo:

155gr. @ 1475fps / 750ft/lbs
165gr. @ 1400fps/ 718ft/lbs
180gr. @ 1300fps/ 676ft/lbs