Evaluate (metal) Korean "AK 47 mags.

The interest lies in some 10 or 20-rounders.
Other than having two "nib" original Saigas, this is my first AK Clone.

How would you compare the reliability of Any of the metal Korean "AK" mags--no matter which cap.--with other metal types which you can depend on?

silvermane_1

well i have 7 of them for my WASR 10/63, no problems except maybe some light rust, but they are metal so some light rust is somewhat expected also considering i live in a humid area.

az_imuth

I use a couple of the 20 rounders and have never had a moment's problem with them. Nice black finish, solid and feed/function just as reliably as any of my com-block mags. Haven't tried any of the gray phosphated 30 round mags yet.

runningbear

About five years ago Centerfire Systems, offered these Korean Mfg. Teflon coated 30rd and 40rd AK Mags. Bought two of each and wish had bought more, as they have been quality Mfg. Mags and work great.

seanc

I have 2 40 rounders in 7.62x39. They feed well and are a lot of fun. They are also the thinnest metal I've ever seen used in a magazine. You could use any com-block mag to pound nails, but that wouldn't be advisable with the Korean made mags.

bamaranger

20 rd AK mags

I don't know the origin of my 20 rd AK mags, I bought'em from Dillon's a few years back. They are surplus from somewhere, heavy duty, and work fine.

I like the 20 rd mag in the AK and the AR. Since all rifles are semiauto, a 20 rd box is plenty for my use, excepting that I have run a 30 rd box for some long strings of fire in local 3 gun stuff.

The big attraction is dimensions. Just that much less size and sharp edges to catch and gouge when carrying the rifles. It seemed especially noticeable with the AR in locking vehicle mounts, though you would't think an inch or so would matter.

smee78

I too have been curious about these 20 rounders. I am curious how well they work and if they will hold up?

runningbear

I wish i could share with all of you pictures of some really rare,small 5&10 Rd Com/Bloc Steel AK Mags i have found.
But seems this forum won't allow their file size, and I am really tired of having to keep reducing my files for this one forum.
But back to these small steel AK Mags, have no idea why they made them, maybe to comply with the Clinton 1994 Assualt Weapon Ban. Them commies always wanting to make money off us Americans.:)

Last edited:

Skarekrow88

I've used them before and they worked fine but I wouldn't ever use them for anything other than the range. A quick look at them and you'll see the shoddy spot welding all over it and, as was previously said, they are much more thin than your typical com-bloc mags. Won't be trusting my life to that.

P71pilot

I have 2 10rd Korean AK mags as well as a 20rd I have not used yet. The 10rd mags cycle perfectly, as I would expect them to. However they are slightly thinner and weaker feeling than my 2 30rd Croatian BHO mags. The welds on the Korean mag are smaller and it is generally not made is tough. I trust them, but I keep them lubricated when not in use. And if I dropped one onto something hard I would probably not use it for serious applications. I like the 10rd because of the small profile. Shooting prone and using different things as a rest is much easier with a 10rd mag. Used in a saiga

bfoosh006

The Korean 20rd AK mags are ok.... good enough for me to buy some, and I have had no issues.

All Other Korean mags have been poor preformers, IMHO.

Mrgunsngear

For those new to AKs----South Korean AK mags used to be TERRIBLE. However, recent reports suggest they have turned around in the last year or two.

Thanks. Had not checked Gunbroker for AK mags until last night.
It surprised me to see a fair selection of metal foreign mags, and most of the 30-rounders (east. Europe) were priced about $30-35.

Should most of those various origins lock into, and feed as reliabily in my 'new' Maadi "ARM" as well as in other foreign AK clones?:confused:

Last edited:

Bart Noir

have no idea why they made them, maybe to comply with the Clinton 1994 Assualt Weapon Ban.

Back when there was an evil Soviet Union (instead of evil Russia) the countries of the Warsaw Pact used AKs in several variations and a couple of calibers.

And the Hungarians seemed to like 20-round AK-47 mags for convenience in movement into/out of armored vehicles, and firing from little gunports in armored vehicles.

Lots of those smaller magazines were imported into the US of A. I like them for bench-rest shooting (hey, no laughing, even an AK needs to be carefully sighted in) but otherwise am happy with 30-rounders. That whole banana-clip bad boy image, donja know.

Did any 20-round AK-74 magazines ever get made?

Bart Noir

Mrgunsngear

Did any 20-round AK-74 magazines ever get made?

Yes. A guy over at the 'files named K Rowe has the best (and surely most expensive) collection of AK mags I've ever seen and he's got a few. I'm sure all were $2k or more though.