Euro PPK clones

DE Shooter

Hello All. First time on this forum. I have a G19 for my primary HD 1st grab. I am considering getting a Euro PPK clone for a second "hide" piece in my home. I see CZ 50, 70, and 82 available. I also see the P 64. I had a chance to hold a PPK once and it fit and pointed well; did not get to shoot it. Which of these would be your choice and please consider ammo availability now and near future. I've read about the "very hard" double action trigger pull and the "poor" sights. I would like to hear from folks that have experience with them. I can't see the $$$ for a PPK now. Any info appreciated.

TxFlyFish

Makarov would be my preference. I have a pre-war ppk 32acp but prefer the mak for it simplicity, toughness, and ammo availability. The DA pull is pretty stiff in many of the clones heck even in ppk so much so that I had to pull with the joint of my finger.

Yankee Doodle

The PPK I owned was undoubtedly the worst POS I have ever owned. Not accurate, not relaible, and the worst trigger I have ever experienced. Get the Mak, and never look back.

JimmyR

I have a Bulgarian Makarov that I am getting some work done on to get it firing again, and I have an FEG PA-63. I actually like the PA63, and from the first time I fired it, it was actually very accurate. Both use the 9x18 Mak ammo, which is about as easy to find as anything else. The FEG is also an aluminum frame, making it lighter than a Makarov by a few ounces.

SpareMag

I have both the PPK and FEG. The Smith PPK is fine once you get one that works...took me three tries.

The FEG is a nice shooter BUT I would offer up the Sig 232 for consideration. A stunning piece of metalwork, always goes bang, does not break down the same as a PPK, but I think overall a better pistol in the genre.

twobit

I have a "pre-Smith" Walther Inter Arms PPK. I bought it new in the 80's. I carried it many years on duty as a BUG in an ankle holster and then later in a body armor holster inside my uniform shirt.

POSITIVES:
Well made gun.
As a stainless steel gun it has a very durable finish capable of surviving the types of daily carry I described above.
It is narrow and compact.
The double action / single action and decock mode of the gun made it identical in operation to my duty gun (a Beretta 92FS) so muscle memory and training to shoot both in high stress situations made it a good companion BUG to the Beretta 92FS.

NEGATIVES:
It is a .380.
Stainless steel guns are heavy for their size.
Even though it is a heavy gun and should absorb recoil well, Its' narrow grips really sting the web of your hand when you shoot.
The trigger pull is very heavy. Not a fun gun to shoot. After 50 rounds your hand gets really sore.
Any limp wristing will cause stovepiping.
The slide is very stiff to rack due the strong spring required on direct blow-back actions.

I much prefer shooting my Ruger LCR revolver over my PPK.

lechiffre

All of the "clones" FEG,CZ50/70,Polish 64, point differently. Most of them sit higher in the hand and point lower.

Some of the FEGs are pretty close.

KyJim

If you're not wedded to the "Euro" part, you might consider the Bersa Tunder in .380. Less recoil than the PPK and is reliable and a pretty decent shooter.

DE Shooter

Thanks all, for the info. I hit a couple of LGS today. None had any of the "clones" I had been considering. I did get to handle the Ruger LCP and the LCP-CT. The LCP-CT was "interesting". Another customer saw me handling them and said he had one and was impressed with it. It's a little more than I was looking to spend, but I don't mind saving a while longer for a quality piece to protect myself and family with. Any negatives I should be aware of?