Ermy's lines

BigG

As you know, one of my signature lines is from the movie Siege of Firebase Gloria, in which a tough Recon Sergeant Major, played by R. Lee Ermy with a company or so successfully defends Gloria against a VC Regiment during Tet '68.

On the movie thread, somebody said Unforgiven had some of the most quotable lines of any movie. While I do not dispute this, Firebase Gloria must be a close second.

IMO, If Sgt Maj Haffner had been at the battle of the Little Big Horn, Custer probably would have won!

Anybody remember any of his lines?

------------------
Be mentally deliberate but muscularly fast. Aim for just above the belt buckle Wyatt Earp
45 ACP: Give 'em a new navel! BigG
"It is error alone that needs government support; truth can stand by itself." Tom Jefferson, Notes on Virginia, 1785
We don't have a chaplain here, but I don't view that as any major problem... You can rest assured
that you will not go in that bag until I've said a few appropriate words over you
R. Lee Ermy as Sgt Major Haffner, from The Siege of Firebase Gloria
If you have to shoot a man, shoot him in the guts. It may not kill him... sometimes they die slow, but it'll paralyze his brain and arm and the fight is all but over Wild Bill Hickok

swampgator

Not so many come to mind from "Gloria" but the whole 1st have of FMJ (the only half worth watching) gave enough quotes that Drills at Ft McClellan were using them when I was there.

"I will rip out your eyes and skullf**k you to death".

"The best part of you ran down your mama's leg and ended up as a brown stain on the mattress."

Gator

Ps: recently saw Firebase Gloria for the 1st time. Excellent movie.

------------------
Root Hog or Die Poor

BigG

Hi Swampgator,

I concur on your assessment of FMJ. It should have ended after the first half.

One I remember went something like this:

"We're gonna refortify this $h!+hole and then protect it like it was your daughter's cherry. I ain't gonna die here!"

------------------
Be mentally deliberate but muscularly fast. Aim for just above the belt buckle Wyatt Earp
"It is error alone that needs government support; truth can stand by itself." Tom Jefferson, Notes on Virginia, 1785
We don't have a chaplain here, but I don't view that as any major problem... You can rest assured
that you will not go in that bag until I've said a few appropriate words over you
If you have to shoot a man, shoot him in the guts. It may not kill him... sometimes they die slow, but it'll paralyze his brain and arm and the fight is all but over Wild Bill Hickok

[This message has been edited by BigG (edited December 22, 1999).]

Dorcas

per www.imdb.com

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>
Former US Marines Drill Instructor R. Lee Ermey was hired as a consultant on how to drill USMC style. He performed a demonstration on videotape in which he yelled obscene insults and abuse non-stop for fifteen minutes without stopping, repeating himself, or even flinching - despite being continuously pelted with tennis balls and oranges. Director Stanley Kubrick was so impressed that he cast Ermey as Sgt Hartmann, ordered a transcript of the audition tape (it came to 250 pages), and exclusively used Ermey's insults in the script.

R. Lee Ermey hardly blinks at all in any scene.

Ermey was involved in a jeep accident during the making of the movie. At 1am he skidded off the road, breaking all of his ribs on one side. He refused to pass out, and kept flashing his car lights until a motorist stopped. In some scenes, he does not move one of his arms at all.[/quote]

bkm...

------------------
Anyone worth shooting, is worth shooting twice...

BigG

How 'bout: <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>A little religious communication might not be a bad idea at this stage of the game. I don't know about you but I don't take any chances. I talk to Mohammed, Buddha, Mr. Jesus H. Christ, and any other religious honchos I can think of.[/quote]

------------------