Erm....NRA in a Comic Strip

WyldOne

(I hope this works)

bo020709.gif

pdmoderator

Strange... I've been looking through the NRA's shooting sports programs, and I can't find anything about "killing for fun." :confused:

- pdmoderator

gorlitsa

That strip is always good for a laugh. It is always about political issues of some sort, yet is put in with the regular comics. Probably becuase it is so mindless that even the liberals don't want to be associated with it. The author writes about topics that are way over his head and gives a knee-jerk reaction to each one. :rolleyes: The scary thing is that someone probably takes it seriously.

The Boondocks is an HORRIFICALLY racist "comic strip." It's unbelievable the kind of crap that has been printed in this strip in the comics page in the few years since it started.

If a strip like that featuring WHITE, overtly racist, characters ever hit the newspapers there would be rioting, and probably with good reason.

I guess racism is fine, as long as minorities are practicing the racism?

DonP

Boondocks = Amos & Andy for the new century

I have yet to find anything even vaguely funny in this strip.

The primary characters are two dimensional, angry young black boys living in a predominately white suburb (hence boondocks). Their reactions are always knee jerk liberal Democratic talking points on Bush, Ashcroft or the Man.

At least Amos & Andy had some good writers for their poorly created, demeaning characatures. The black man that lives next door is married to a white lady and is the butt of a lot of jokes about how whipped he is by his wife. In short, he isn't a real man because he married a white woman.

I think its an affirmative action pity strip for the major metro newpapers to show the African-American community that they really care. "See, we put an angry black comic strip in the paper for you folks. Don't you like us now?"

To paraphrase Cartman, "It's all a bunch of tree huggin' hippie liberal, reverse racism crap"

Just my opinion though, I could be wrong.

Don P.

The Plainsman

Mike....

I absolutely agree with your comments. For a while, I thought I was the only one who disliked that cartoon. I specifically don't read it anymore because it racked up my blood pressure everytime I saw it.

It's racist, unfunny, ill-informed, and has no business in the comics section. If they want to move it to the editorial page, that's fine, but let's recognize it for what it is. Doonesbury & Dilbert are bad enough. Save me from Boondocks. :rolleyes:

HankB

Thumbs down on "Boondocks." DonP is right about why it's in the papers.
Doonesbury & Dilbert are bad enough.
Say WHAT? Sometimes Dilbert hits the nail on the head! (Or maybe you just have to be an engineer to appreciate it. ;) )

C.R.Sam

Dilbert seems to often be the cartoonist depicting himself and his coworkers in normal day to day interaction in a tech company.

Funny but frustrating to work in a place like that.
Fun to read about it without having to actually live it.

Sam

It HAS to be taken seriously, .45.

It's in the freaking comics pages, where likely hundreds of thousands of kids, white, black, oriental, etc., see it every day.

It also has to be taken seriously for the double standard that it establishes AND promulgates.

As I said, let a comic strip with white racist characters be published, and the outcry would be IMMENSE.

Berk Brethed, the artist who used to do Bloom County, was fired, and according to him, physically thrown out of the offices of, I believe, the Austin American Statesman in the 1970s when he did a parody of Star Trek I's poster.

He showed a moving van with Enterprise-like engine nacells and a white, rednecky type family with the caption "Honky Trek, Flight to the Suburbs," as a commentary on the white flight that was going on in the Austin area at the time.

Racism, in ANY form, by or against ANY individual or group, is not only reprehensible, it's flat out wrong.

And no individual or group should get a pass on it.

45King

HankB wrote:
Sometimes Dilbert hits the nail on the head! (Or maybe you just have to be an engineer to appreciate it.

Shucks, you don't have to be an engineer to appreciate Dilbert; anyone who works in ANY position for a company run by idots and dimwits knows that a lot of what is presented in Dilbert can be pretty true to life (voice of experience here.)

I've never heard of Boondocks before this. Looks like I haven't missed much.

johnbt

Let's see if this works for the July 10th installment - the story continues:

www2.uclick.com/client/wpc/bo/

(Edit: It's too early for me, but it is the correct address. Do a cut and paste.)

John

Rovert

FWIW, as much as I resent the snipe at the NRA, we'd be hypocrites here to complain about having to constantly defend our 2nd amendment rights, if we were ready to take away someone's 1st.

Justin

Is it just me, or has the newspaper comics page become nothing but assinine and worthless since 'Calvin and Hobbes' and 'The Far Side' stopped getting published?

Seems to me that if you want to find a decent comic strip, you have to find one online.

WyldOne

The weird thing is, I hardly ever read the comics anymore. But I was just browsing through the comics page during the last few moments of my lunch break yesterday, and this one happened to catch my eye.

Ever wonder why so many people tink the NRA is a dangerous, extremist group? It's things like this. The subtle stereotypes that find their way into our world w/o our even noticing.

Although, I have to admit that I got a little chuckle out of the one that johnbt posted. More laughing at myself, than anything else though. :)

It's a fineline between speech protected by the 1st Amendment and hate speech.

Boondocks continually pushes up against that line, and a number of times, in my opinion, has crossed it.

Maybe I should start drawing a comic strip...

The Whiteflights...

Start the strip in the "city" where Mr. & Mrs. Whiteflight are contemplating moving out of the old 'hood because of the descending "darkness."

How about if I don't, because that's the kind of racism that I'm screaming about?

But, were I, or someone else, to do so, how many newspapers do you think would publish it? How many that DID publish it would be the target of picketing, vandalism, lawsuits, etc.

Yet with the Boondocks, the racism is ignored, because it's a member of a "minority" group who is being the racists.

Just as with Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson (Hymietown, anyone?), Boondocks is given a free pass on this sort of ****.

Jim V

Boondocks runs the same NRA story line every year.

When the strip first appeared in the local paper I wrote the editor complaining about the racism in the strip, I was pretty much told that there was nothing racist about the strip because it was done by a minority.

Siiiigggghhhhh, where is MALARD FILLMORE when you need him?