ER Shaw MX VII Rifles

taylorce1

Anyone seen one of these rifles in person yet? I've been talking with ER Shaw about building one, but didn't like the pay up front and wait 10-12 months for delivery. I'd have put a 50% non-refundable deposit or something like that on a rifle I have to wait a year to get but I'm not happy about having to pay it all up front before they will build it.

I can't argue with the price though with a basic model starting out at $625. I was interested in a stainless synthetic model until they told me that they use injection molded rifle stocks. I had one of those stocks and never cared for it on my rifle.

Here are some of the answers I received by email over the last couple of days:

We can make a Mark VII in either of the configurations, with or without fluting, in 338/06 and fit it to our Synthetic stock. The cost for a Mark VII as you have listed your looking for without fluting is $625.00 and with the helical fluting the cost is $750.00. This would be for either contour, the #2.5 or the #3 made from 416 stainless steel, cut and crowned at 22" and a synthetic stock. The turnaround time to manufacture and assemble a Mark VII rifle is in the 10 to 12 month area right now.

The action used on the Mark VII is a std Savage design 110 series action, there are no modifications done to the receiver to "remove the barrel nut" it simply is not used on our barrels due to the od of the barrel at the breech. The ER Shaw contours have a shoulder on them and they fit up to and headspace at the recoil lug, the nut does not fit nor is it needed. the recoil lug we use have both surfaces trued and are a .250 lug instead of the factory .188 lug. We also true the receiver face, bolt face and lap the bolt lugs for engagement. All of the parts that make up the receiver are polished and hand fit. The threading, chambering, and crowning of the barrel are also all done by hand. The synthetic stock is a contract stock that we use, I assume it is made by Butler Creek, or six Enterprises, or one of the other injection mold companies, nothing fancy, press checkered, std 1" soft recoil pad and we bed the recoil lug area of the stock, further bedding would have to be done by the end user. The crown option is either an 11 degree or a recessed target crown, the recessed target is an additional $20.00 add on except for the #5 contour where it is std. But the #5 contour is sold as a bbl/action only, we do not offer a stock for the #3.5 and the #5 contours. We do offer a muzzle break, $160.00 for a 416 stainless steel one and $150.00 for a 4140 chrome moly break installed. We do not have a thread protector to offer with the installation of the muzzle break.

The Laminate and Walnut stocks are the JRS model from Boyd's, those would be the only other options we have for the Mark VII. Since these are a hand assembled rifle the Mark VII's are bill up front before the order is submitted for manufacturing

j.chappell

I've only read reviews. I had an interest but that kind of subsided due to the lack of stock selection. I do not like the JRS stock as it is much beefier than I like. Sure I could do the work after I receive the rifle but that kind of negates the reason for having a rifle built. I also like my rifles full length and pillar bedded. Just not my thing for a hunting rifle. Varmint rifle, now that may be another story.

J.