Equiping guns with a GPS System

Houndog

Just read an article in my local paper that there's some state representative in Massachusetts that wants to pass a law requiring all handguns (maybe even all guns) with a GPS system so in case their stolen they can immediately be tracked "like the police do with cars that have lojack".:rolleyes:

This genius concedes that it might be "kind of expensive" but "worth it to insure more people aren't killed with stolen guns". I think he even implied that the law could be imposed retroactively on existing gun owners, who would be required to have their guns fitted with such devices.

Looks like it's time for me to move to a free state.

BTW - its worth noting that although this state has among the most restrictive handgun laws in the country - and a number of top quality handguns are banned outright, including all H&K's, all Colts, all Kimbers, all Les Baers, Ed Browns, etc. we've been having serious gang violence problems and a large number of recent shootings - almost all by illegal handguns.

What's the politician's reactions - to blame NH, Vermont, Georgia, Florida, etc for our handgun violence. Nevermind that this position seems to conflict with the theory that all handgun violence is the product of in-state guns that have been stolen (hence the need for GPS tracking).

Frankly, rather than installing GPS units in handguns, how about surgically implanting some kind of stun gun/polygraph in our politicians that zaps them every time they try to bull**** us. I realize this would be "kind of expensive", but think it would be worth every penny. I'd even be willing to pay a couple of hundred dollars more in state tax to fund this program. :)

WillBrayjr

For every person there are 1,000 guns whether legal or illegal in this country. Next thing you know some idiot will want devices in guns that will help you find your zipper after you relieve yourself.

Eghad

The antigun strategy to bypass the 2nd Amendment is to make the costs prohibitive enough that most folks cant buy a firearm or to make the cost of ammo expensive also so most folks cant afford it.

The only way you are going to curb the majority of firearm violence by criminals is to make the cost of using a firearm in a crime prohibitive to criminals.

brickeyee

Does the idiot realize that GPS is just a receiver system?
To move the loaction anywere you need a transmiter also.
And transmitters take power. A lot of power. How long did you say your cell phone batteries last?
Lojacks are not exactly tiny, and require battery power to operate. Cars already have batteries and the charging system, but getting all the stuff into a firearm is not going to happen.
Lojack was prety popular in MA when I lived there a few years ago. It is not nearly as common in VA. Wonder why? (Hint: It is a felony to steal anything worth more than a few hundred dollars in VA, and we lock the a**holes up).

wacki

Nevermind that this position seems to conflict with the theory that all handgun violence is the product of in-state guns that have been stolen (hence the need for GPS tracking).

I've read that the ATF says that 85% of crimes are commited with straw purchases.

Houndog

Sometimes it's just plain embarrassing to be from Massachusetts. We already have only a couple of handgun mfg. willing to go through the testing and certification process necessary to get the guns approved for sale. Is any company going to go through the testing necessary to develop some lojack system, and then build special Mass. models that incorporate this system? Of course not. (That's assuming such a system is even possible). As someone's already pointed out a car is a hell of a lot bigger than a gun, and contains a large battery to power such a system.

Moreover, how long do you think it will take the criminals to figure out a way to disable this system?

Besides which, what percentage of crimes are committed with stolen in-state guns? I'm willing to bet it's tiny.

FirstFreedom

The antigun strategy to bypass the 2nd Amendment is to make the costs prohibitive enough that most folks cant buy a firearm or to make the cost of ammo expensive also so most folks cant afford it.

Just like they have *already* done with the 86 machine gun ban.

Let's see now, a GPS receiver on a gun, which requires a clear line of sight through the sky to the satellite in order to work. I'm a criminal, and I just stole the gun, or used a legally-purchased gun in a crime.... so am I going to:

A) Leave the gun on the roof of my house or in my yard so that the system will work, and I'll get caught, or
B). Keep it in a safe, in the basement, or otherwise in an enclosure with thick walls/ceilings, away from windows, so that no satellite signals can be received, triangulating my position, so that same can be forwarded (transmitted) to the central database, so that I won't get caught?

I realize it's a difficult quiz, but I think that even the proponent of this legislation might be able to realize what a boondoggle THAT would be.

OneInTheChamber

You forgot option C

C: through it out the window as I drive down the freeway. Maybe I'll go to the lake today too? Let the police waste time searching for it.

Also, aren't most GPS devices only accurate to about 100 feet? I know the military has stuff that is really accurate and really expensive, but the common GPS isn't that accurate. It just gets them within range of the firearm they are looking for!

kozak6

Houndog said:
Frankly, rather than installing GPS units in handguns, how about surgically implanting some kind of stun gun/polygraph in our politicians that zaps them every time they try to bull**** us. I realize this would be "kind of expensive", but think it would be worth every penny. I'd even be willing to pay a couple of hundred dollars more in state tax to fund this program.

You know, I have to admit that sounds like a much better idea.