Eotech Co-witness

imp

I'm building my newest AR, a 16" mid length flat-top. I've always been a fan of iron sights, but I've been wanting to mount an EoTech on something, so I decided to build a new AR to put it on.

The upper I'm getting (Del-Ton) comes with a flip up YHM front sight, and I intend on putting a GG&G flip up rear on it as well.

But, since I have no experience with Eotechs, or any other HWS for that matter, I want to make sure they flip up iron sights co-witness perfectly with the eotech. That being said, what do I need to make this happen, or will it happen on its own?

I looked at all these mounts from larue and ARMS, which I would like to have the ARMS #40, but I'm afraid it will jack the eotech up half an inch and mess up the sight picture.

Someone help me out.

thetoecutter

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=278306&highlight=eotech

The way the Eotech "works", if the reticle and the irons are sighted to the same location in space, the reticle is going to pretty much line up with the irons regardless of how "tall" it is.

Tried to illustrate that with the pictures somewhat.

As you move your head/eye around, the reticle moves in the window, but stays sighted at the same position downrange.

What the height of the Eotech mounting affects is where the irons will be in the sighting window.

"Short" Eotech, no spacer/mount the irons will be pretty much centered. "Tall" Eotech, or a short one with some sort of intermediate mount, they will be in the lower portion of the window.

I went with a "tall" one to put my non-folding irons in the lower portion of the window without having to purchase a mount.

I really like the buttons on the side (516, 556, 557) rather than the rear.

Hope this helps;

TTC

Creature

I found that my EoTech 511.A65 co-witnissed to my bushy's front sight and a YH flip-up rearsight without any adjustment.

Jamie Young

I don't have any issues either. There are times I wonder if I even need a rear sight on my AR because the Eotech acts like a larger rear aperture.

IMHO flip up front sights are an over kill.

Creature

IMHO flip up front sights are an over kill.

I would agree with that. I'll go one better than that...I think the eotech is overkill and that iron sights are all you need. My friends ands colleagues call me a purist and old school.

I have tried many many times to go down the eotech road, but every time I went back to my iron sights.

So I ended up removing the eotech in favor of the plain old iron sights. I have found that iron sights are far faster for me and are much easier to adjust for elevation and windage as the situation at hand requires.

The only upgrade to iron sights I might consider would be tritium inserts.

thetoecutter

I would agree with that. I'll go one better than that...I think the eotech is overkill and that iron sights are all you need. My friends ands colleagues call me a purist and old school.

I have tried many many times to go down the eotech road, but every time I went back to my iron sights.

So I ended up removing the eotech in favor of the plain old iron sights. I have found that iron sights are far faster for me and are much easier to adjust for elevation and windage as the situation at hand requires.

The only upgrade to iron sights I might consider would be tritium inserts.

I would tend to agree also, unfortunately though, I am unable to see the front sight pin (or any front sight) clearly anymore. I can live with it on a defensive handgun, but on any rifle it really really :mad: ticks me off.

In moderate light, without a severely contrasting background, it might as well not be there for me. The only way I can punch paper with irons is with those orange dot thingies stuck on the target.

All tritium inserts would do for me would make the black blurry thing a green glowing blurry thing...the only reason there are irons on my carbine is so my son can practice with it. Got the word a couple weeks ago that he was one of 6 guys in his platoon that qualified expert, so I'm glad I left them on there.

TTC