Entry Level Over Under 1st Time Buyer Questions

cslinger

I have a buddy who is in the market for an entry level over under 12 gauge. I know nothing more then the good ones are expensive and the cheap ones usually aren't worth a darn.

So educate us on what is a nice over under quality wise for say 700-800. Is this even a feasable price for something worth buying. Are there any high quality guns cheaper.

Thanks
Chris

jwoolf

I'm sort of new at this too but, from what I've seen, for that money, your best bet would probably be in an auto.

I am interested in seeing the replies to this though because I'm also in the market for an o/u.

I've been looking at the Beretta 686 and 687s and the Browning Citori. All of which are almost twice what you have listed there.

If there are others, I'd like to know too.

HSMITH

You can for sure get a used Ruger Red Label in that price range, in very good condition and 5 chokes. The RL is a good solid gun, but as the guy that traded it in found out resale value sucks. Look to pay about $750-800 for one in 95%+ condition. The good news for you is they don't go much lower than $650 even when beat up a little, so you can shoot the snot out of it and not lose much value. You MIGHT be able to get a Citori in 85-90% for $750 with choke tube barrels. For sure if you look you can get a fixed choke Citori in 90% for $750. Some of the SKBs are quite nice and sell for mid $700's in a field grade. Resale is decent on them. You will get what you pay for in the imports.

New you might be able to squeek out a Red Label for low $800's if you look.

I have been there and done that with a few O/U shotguns. If you have any specific questions I will help if I can.

briany

Hello all,
I just picked up Lanber and outwardly it looks pretty good & well made. I havn't shot it yet though. I paid about $560 total. I have a browing citori but if this sucker works out for me it would probably be my beater gun....
I will post a shooting results after this weekend (that's if I ever get over dove fever ;) )
briany

K80Geoff

The Ruger is a good entry level gun. Buy used and don't expect to get much on resale when you find the ultimate gun you have to have.

Rugers hold up but kick rather heavily. Some of my cronies who started shooting Rugers have now all switched to autos. The punishment caught up with them.

If you want the gun for hunting and the occasional informal clays session they will do just fine. Good solid guns.

The SKB guns are underrated and are a good value for the money. A step up in quality over the Ruger.

Stay away from the cheap stuff. For every guy who claims they work OK you will find five who wish they had not bought the guns.

I have not shot a Lanber but have heard good things about them. Might be worth a look.

Look around for closeouts from Beretta and Browning. Sometimes they change models and sell off stock at bargain prices. You might get a pearl.

And there is always the used market. Hang around Trap and Skeet clubs and check the bulletin boards. Trap shooters are always selling and trading up, /skeet shooters are selling O/U's to buy autos:D

You can get a decent gun for 700-800 if you are patient.