Entry level AR's

2DaMtns

I have long pondered getting an AR. I have never had one, used to crave one, then went through a spell of not really wanting one when they shot up in price and everyone and their grandmother had one at the range. I am starting to regain interest in them and have a couple questions.

Among the more common brands, is a novice AR owner/shooter going to really notice much difference? I am talking Bushmaster, DPMS, Olymic Arms, etc.

If I like it, I will probably eventually build my own, or accessorize the one I buy. With that in mind, which brand would you recommend, or would you recommend a different brand not listed?

I don't do much varmint shooting as of yet, and don't have a great load of interest in the .223, but I do have interest in a .308 rifle. Are the DPMS rifles in 308 as good as reported, namely, are they as good as is reported on Gunblast?

Technosavant

The thing about ARs is that the price difference between an "entry level" one and one that is quite good quality is remarkably small. The days of $600 Bushmasters and Armalites are gone. Those brands now tend to run $800-900, depending on configuration. The "upper end" stuff from CMMG, Bravo Company, Stag, Colt, and so on tends to pick up at the $1000-1100 range for a complete rifle, so you're only talking a couple or three hundred bucks from the get go for something that you might see as worth keeping indefinitely.

This is not to say you can't get a perfectly serviceable Bushmaster or Rock River at $850 and have it run forever for you. I'm just saying that you may want to consider what your ideal rifle might look like and considering just starting at that point if it is within reach.

As for will you notice the difference, you likely won't when just plinking. So long as it's finished well enough to function (the gas key isn't loose, it feeds properly, etc), somebody popping off a couple hundred rounds a month won't understand the fuss about cold hammer forged barrels, milspec receiver extensions, parkerizing under the FSB, etc. (and you can make a case that such things aren't a big deal for most anyway).

Examine what the "cheaper" rifle brings to the table and compare it to the brands that are bit more expensive.

As for .308 ARs, I've not read all that much glorious stuff about the DPMS, but then, I can't really say I've ever really been interested in the AR platform for .308 enough to actually study up on them.

brian923

the ar-10, or (.308 ar) is the same thing as the ar-15, just scaled up. dpms was the biggest marketer for the ar-10, but now has some compotition coming up on ther tails. as of being good rifles, you get what you pay for the cheaper sportical version is going to get you into the ar-10 at the bottom of the pool, but at a better price than some of the others. they are accurate, but wont hold a note to the more expensive ones. (knight armament, JP, ecc.) the biggest parts that differ in all ar's are the trigger and barrel. these are the accuracy parts. all other parts just make the gun. but there are thousands of parts to make the rifle your own. accuracy is based primarly on the afformention parts (barrel and trigger). a good free floated barrel, and nice clean crisp trigger will get you shooting excelent groups. in all, ar's are the funnest rifles you WILL shoot. be fore warned, once you pop, you wont wanna stop!!!:D

Sixer

Get a Bargain Bin CMMG carbine or rifle their only $599 and have had great reviews.

THIS ^

I have had the chance to handle a few of the "bargain bin" rifles and I would say that you are not likely to find a better deal on a good AR. These rifles have VERY MINOR cosmetic flaws which earned them a spot in the $599 bin. By VERY MINOR, I mean they had to be pointed out just to be noticeable. Great deal IMHO :)

brian923

sorry for the inconveiniance, but it has been brought to my attention by a fellow shooter on this board, that i may have been misleading stating that the ar10 is a copy of the ar15. i was refering to the ar10s and ar15s of today, and not the origonal ar10 that eugene came up with 4 decades ago. ar10s and 15s of today are nothing like the origonal. hence the reason i said ar10s are copys of the ar15s. the ar15s have undergone so many changes and enhancments, its crazy!!!

if this in any way mislead you, i am sorry.

if your intersted, a neat read..... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AR10

just some history on the trials and tribulations of the ar10, and the now well know ar15. you will not be disapointed in either firearm (.223 or .308. or any othe the varients for that matter) the plateforms great for modularity, and very accurate. there are tons of parts a pieces that you can choose from to customize the rifle to your exact needs. just look in a brownells catalog, and you have just scrathed the surface.

fellow shooter, brian madsen

tirod

An AR10 in .308 is a completely different gun than a AR15. The may look similar, but the major parts are not interchangeable. The carry weight, recoil, and cost of ammo are dramatically higher. You are not looking at AR10's at all the ranges.

Shooting a .308 blindfolded, you would be frustrated to tell the difference between an AR10, PTR91, or tricked out M14. The weight and recoil would be the same.

The AR 15 is cheaper, lighter, has dramatically less recoil - and does not have to be in 5.56. There are other calibers, optimized for particular uses.

For varmint - like prairie dogs,etc, at long range, the 5.56 is quite good. The 6.5 Grendel would be even better, going out to 600 yards, if you can handle 80" + drop. It works best in a 20+ barrel, and with Les Baer offering the look alike in .264 LBC, ammo availability will be better and prices may eventually fall.

Another choice is the 6.8 SPCII, which is a great 400 yard cartridge that works out of a 16" barrel. Lots of users have brought down hogs and deer with them, ammo is widely available, almost every maker offers a barrel or upper. Magazines are available from C Products, PRI, Barrett, and others.

An AR with 16" barrel in 6.8 gathers all the best attributes of shooting and hunting into one package. With a flattop receiver, any good optic will work. Low recoil, 3000 fps from the muzzle, accurate, and easy handling are just a few of the desireable qualities.

Look around at 68forums and ar15.com, you'll find a wealth of info and support.

Mobuck

If you're leaning toward the .308, I'd go with the Sportical. Consider the cost of spare magazines in the total cost.Unless you intend to shoot match grade, you'll not notice much difference. With most of these type rifles, the trigger is the limiting factor.