Entry level ar15

458winshooter

Now that the election is over and I won't have some anti gun nut bangin' on my door saying give me,give me, give me I'm thinking of getting one.What do you folks think of for a first ar?It will likely be used by my son and wife.The only proviso is it must be able to have a 300 blackout or 6.5 upper readily available.

RoughDivider

Does it need to come as .300 BO? Or are you just saying you want it to be able to accept an upper. If it's the latter I'd say grab a dart board and put the major manufacturers on it and throw a dart.

9x19

The most often recommended (for good reason) are:

S&W M&P Sport II

Ruger AR556

Aero "naked" Carbine

The Aero comes without a stock or handguards, for those folks who already know they want something different.

All will accept a .300 or 6.5 upper.

Chainsaw.

Hard to go wrong. Got a budget in mind?
Cheapies work fine, obviously the more spendy the better the quality gets.

Inazone

With prices as low as they are, and with everyone and his brother offering a "budget" AR these days, I'd advise really narrowing down the specs and features you want. If you can't get the exact features you want in an off-the-shelf AR, how much room do you need to leave in your budget to add those features after the fact? Obviously, there are some things you won't be able to replace on the cheap.

I have a first-generation M&P Sport, which lacked the dust cover and forward assist of the current model, but had a 1:8 twist barrel instead of the current 1:9. That's a deciding factor for some people, and with the Ruger AR556 having 1:8 twist, maybe that is a game-changer. Want to spend a little more up front for arguably "better" features, such as Magpul or BCM parts? Prefer the included sights on one over another, or none at all?

It's a lot to absorb.

rickyrick

Many, and I am included, start with low cost then end up with a box of parts that have been upgraded over time.

This is the best time ever to get the AR15 that you really want. There were times that people had to settle on whatever AR they found... not today, the sky is the limit.

Give us your wants and needs and we can send you in the right direction.

Old Bill Dibble

All AR's can be fitted for .300BO or 6.5.

If you plan on shooting 6.5 for certain get a higher quality one. 6.5 is hard on the gun it does not pay to skimp. So how spendy are we talking?

lockedcj7

Really hard to beat PSA. It would be easy to buy a complete lower, a complete upper and pin them together for around $500. If you buy blems, wait for sales and maybe buy the BCG separate, you can get closer to $400. PSA makes good stuff, especially if you stay away from the PTAC line.

Grumpy_Bottom

Just make sure you give PSA a "burner" credit card, and never ever use a debit card, if you go that route. I have one I only use for PSA, and it still gets cloned about once every two transactions and used for a "manual entry" purchase here or there (the last one was almost $9k - no idea how that didn't raise fraud flags when it happened). I'm planning on cancelling the card a few days after a purchase from there to save myself 30 minutes on the phone with the credit card company from now on. Aside from their shoddy track record with credit card (in)security, the product itself is pretty amazing, especially if you start with an assembled lower, then upper, and put two pins into place, you can save a hundred or two depending on what you like.

rickyrick

Oh, and Oh!!!

I had a bank cleaned out, but never connected it to PSA. I got my money back from the bank.
I blamed a restaurant but I had just ordered from PSA too.

marine6680

Any reason for the 300blk and 6.5 desire?

If you have separate complete uppers, pretty much every AR using a milspec lower will mate with any milspec upper.

The 300blk uses all the same parts as a 5.56 AR, but for the barrel... If you have a complete upper set up in 300 ready to go, you just need to put it on and go. Even though the mags are interchangeable... It is recommended that you mark or color code the magazines you will be using, as obvious 300 only, as 300 will chamber and fire in a 5.56 rifle, resulting in a violent disassembly, and possible severe injuries. Dedicated mags help prevent this.

The 6.5 needs a special bolt, proper barrel and special magazines. With a complete upper ready to go, you just drop it on and grab the correct magazine.

You really need to narrow down exactly what you want from the rifle, do you want free float (with 6.5 that seems likely), do you want a trigger that is better than mil spec? Plus other questions that need answered...

After that, its easier to point you in the right direction.

rickyrick

Well, normally I would overlook posts like that, but the timing puts PSA as suspect number one. I just didn't put the pieces together because I thought they were safe and I assumed it happened at a restaurant I used to frequent. The PSA thing is actually the most plausible explanation now.

stagpanther

Nice of PSA to NOT TELL it's customers they had been breached--funny enough one of my bank accounts has been hacked twice in the past year--and I do business with PSA.

Grumpy_Bottom

I think "breached" might be the wrong term, as this goes back for years and years; clearly not a solitary occurrence...take from that what you will.

Sent from my KFSOWI using Tapatalk

stagpanther

I think "breached" might be the wrong term, as this goes back for years and years; clearly not a solitary occurrence...take from that what you will.

Sent from my KFSOWI using Tapatalk
I'd call that breached multiple times.

marine6680

Some suspect its an employee...

I have not had any issues myself when ordering from them, but I have only done it a few times, because I lived near a local store of theirs.

Ibmikey

I have ordered over $12,000 from PSA and never had a problem with CC purchase being hacked, their computer can be ornery taking information but that is another issue.