Enough on WD, How about REM OIL

jdscholer

Jeese, the WD-40 thread is never ending, but I don't see any mention of Rem Oil. Anybody use it? Why - why not? jd

Bill DeShivs

THIS reply should bring a lot of flak, but I swear it's true!
A friend brought me an old .22 autoloading rifle that "wouldn't work."
Upon inspection, it was gummed up worse than any gun I have ever seen. I cleaned it with WD 40, then brake parts cleaner, then sprayed it with WD 40, wiped it off, and lubed it with BreakFree. Worked fine.
When I asked him what he oiled the gun with he said "Nothing but Rem-Oil."
Go figure.......

Gun 4 Fun

Yikes! I use Rem Oil on all my guns, even my carry guns.:eek:
Seriously, I've never had one bit of trouble with it, even in extremely cold weather. I'd be willing to bet that anyone who does have trouble with Rem Oil is over doing it. Most people think that you have to have the gun soaked in lube to work right:(. Like the old Brill cream adds used to say- A little dab 'll do ya.;)

Bama46

I have used remoil since dirt was new and no problems... in a pinch I also swear by my wife's singer sewing machine oil too..

whiplash

take this with the grain of salt kind of thing....A year or so ago, I called Sinclair Intl (awsome catalog/company), and asked them why they stopped listing RemOil in their catalog. They mentioned that because of the teflon in the RemOil, apparently the teflon has a chemical reaction inside of the barrel when it gets hot from firing. And that is bad for the barrel. Hmm. I do however use it extensively for external use.

BackRoadBandit

You should never fire a weapon with oil in the barrel! The only reason to put oil in the barrel in the first place would be for long term storage and it should be cleaned well prior to shooting again.

whiplash

yes BackRoadBandit, you are correct. But some use a light coat after cleaning and then a mop brush afterwards....

overkill556x45

I used to use Rem Oil on my pistols. I switched to Wilson Combat grease because it takes a LOT longer for it to go wrong. Rem Oil worked fine, but Wilson grease prevents wear on the rails better, IMHO.

I still use Rem Oil on my .22's and my AR's with NO problems. I've only been using it for four years or so though. Then again, I keep my guns very, very clean and well lubed. I don't have troubles with any of my hardware.

fastforty

Rem oil is very light & within a couple of days there is virtually nothing left of it (hence reapplying repeatedly until everything is gummed up- get the same results with one application of sewing machine oil).

BigJimP

I've used Rem oil inside the actions of my O/U shotguns - and wasn't that impressed. I've switched to Rig Oil - which seem to hold up a little better.

The primary oil I use on my handguns and shotguns as a lube is Break Free.

RemOil doesn't hold up well on friction surfaces and heat. I don't think it's bad to use for parts that pivot, etc. otherwise. I just don't care for having several different cleaners, lubricants, and preventatives cluttering up my area.

IMO, there also isn't one product that's the absolute best of performing the big 3. However, I've narrowed my agents down to two for the most part.

Bill DeShivs said:
Probably, but I thought it interesting in that I'm a WD 40 proponent.

That was pretty funny.:)

armsmaster270

whiplash;
Breakfree has teflon in it too and I don't think you will see much more use than the military with the M-16 and they use it.

adk

One day I was using Rem Oil on the trigger mechanism of a Smith J-frame and I could feel its drag actually increase, instead of getting slicker. Bad batch of oil? I don't know. Never used it since. It's not the first thing I've had from Remington that didn't work.

-----------