Enfield series rifles

Gunplummer

I have worked on quite a few of the older SMLE rifles, but never really got into British rifles. Anybody know how far up the series parts will interchange on the earlier receivers?

tahunua001

not at all as far as I know. the mags click in place but don't feed right, the safeties might interchange but I'm not sure. other than that I can say the bolts, sights, and just about all other parts are not interchangeable.

the butt stocks are interchangeable... forgot about those.

T. O'Heir

Not all Brit rifles are SMLE's. Only No. 1 Mk III's are. SMLE's. No. 4 Rifles are not. Neither is a No. 5(Aka Jungle Carbine. That's an American marketing term.). Which is a slightly modified No. 4 with a shorter barrel and lightening cuts on the receiver. And had nothing to do with jungles.
No parts, even mags, will interchange. Butt stocks look the same but are not. Cuts where they fit the butt socket is slightly different.
No. 1 mags have 2 locking lugs on the back and will not fit a No. 4. A No. 4 mag has one lug(also fits a No. 5). A No. 1 Mag can have the lower lug ground off to fit a No. 4 and still sort of fit a No. 1. Works, but not well.

T. O'Heir

It a No. 4 or No. 1? It have a bolt? Gunparts(Silly people list Lee-Enfields under 'SMLE'.) prices for complete bolts are similar for both. And they have 'em.
Different threads on the barrel shanks too. Criterion is making good No. 4 barrels. They were doing .308 barrels too.

Gunplummer

It is a #1. I may start keeping an eye open for parts here and there. It is amazing what you can save if you are not in a hurry and just gradually pick up parts.

T. O'Heir

"...if you are not in a hurry..." Yep. Being in a hurry costs a lot more. Mind you, so does buying parts individually.
Gunparts is listing Ishapore No. 2/2A .308 barrels with the rear sight(no front blade) at $72.05. Stripped bolts at $31.60 and stripped bolt heads at $14.15.
I think the threads are the same as a .303 barrel. Not sure though.
$47.30 for a used .303 barrel.
Got a barrel vise and action wrench? Enfield receivers twist easily without the right tool.

Gunplummer

I pick up a lot of stuff at Flea markets and auctions. The worst is always the wood. I bought a box of gun stuff at a yard sale for almost nothing and there was a complete T/D 99 Savage in there that was disassembled. Guy probably could not get it back together.

T. O'Heir

"...stuff at a yard sale..." The stuff that's been hiding in attics always amazes me. Farm sales and the like are good too.

Wyosmith

I have 2 303 Enfields in the works right now. One is a Aussy Lithgow and one is a 1900 Irish Constabulary rifle. Both will be made into Speed(ish) sporters.

I also am largely ignorant of such details as you are asking for, but I have a friend in Australia that is quite knowledgeable in them. If you'd like, PM me and I'll put you in touch with him.

SIGSHR

IIRC about the only things that interchange between the SMLEs/No 1 Mark IIIs and the No. 4 Mark I are some screws and magazines. Part of the No. 4 Mk I's design was to make it easier to mass produce using modern methods.

Jim Watson

Both will be made into Speed(ish) sporters.

Ooh, ahh. Sleek.

I also once saw an ad for a package on how to fake up a Lee Enfield or No 4 to look like a Remington Lee. Bet that would make up a nice rifle.

Blindstitch

Now you got my curiosity. I don't have a clue how you could fake up a Enfield to the Remington Lee.

Seems like you would have to highly alter the wrist/stock connection to make it look right along with the rear part of the action having a lot of top metal.

I had a #1 Mark 3 that shot fine but nowhere near as good as my Remington Lee. It's my only non scoped hunting rifle.